Super Contributor

Most expensive is not always best.

I cannot believe some of the prices on various moisturizers and skin creams on QVC. My opinion is that they are all about the same - certainly if you use one and it gives you a dramatic improvement in your skin -that one is for you. I used to purchase a rather expensive moisturizer. I recently tried a common brand that you can purchase in most grocery stores. It is called Aveeno Radiant. It is not expensive, and it keeps my skin moist and as it name suggests, "radiant". It helps eliminate/prevent dark spots. I really like it, and find it comparable to any EXPENSIVE skin cream. Try it-you be the judge. I hate to see women spend so much on expensive creams that give false promises.

Valued Contributor

Re: Most expensive is not always best.

Tawaka is still by far my favorite day/night moisturizer....have used it for years.

Can add a few drops of Perricone oil to it in the winter and in the summer, it does not make my face look or feel greasy. Has worked for me.

Honored Contributor

Many, many, many years ago, I read an article in Allure. The reporter was undercover & reported her findings while in a manufacturing plant in New Jersey.

Out of one vat of a certain color, 4-5 companies used the same lipstick formulation. From drugstore to department store, same lipstick, but different packaging.

After that article, I've always viewed $$$ products with raised eyebrow.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, txskies. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} I've said this for years. Everyone needs to find what works best for them, and it doesn't always have to be the expensive brands. Some of drugstore brands are excellent. I sometimes buy Aveeno Radiant - it's one of my go-to morning moisturizers.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

On 9/7/2014 sidsmom said:

Many, many, many years ago, I read an article in Allure. The reporter was undercover & reported her findings while in a manufacturing plant in New Jersey.

Out of one vat of a certain color, 4-5 companies used the same lipstick formulation. From drugstore to department store, same lipstick, but different packaging.

After that article, I've always viewed $$$ products with raised eyebrow.

overheard something similar, but I've never known which brands these are! I think that Lancôme and Loreal may be two two share formulas but I don't really know. I don't always go out and buy the most expensive brands assuming that they are best, but I've also purchased some pretty bad quality drugstore products.
Honored Contributor

Doesn't that Aveeno product contain mica? I seem to remember years ago I used one of their eye creams, and it did have mica. I think that's what accounts for the "radiance" claim.

Nothing wrong at all with that. But the word "radiance" seems to imply that your skin itself will start to glow from treatment, when in fact it's the mica.

I do agree that one doesn't need to spend a fortune to have decent skin care products.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Expensive skincare is usually a waste of money. The only thing that will make a dramatic difference is if you go under the knife and most of the older vendors do.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Aveeno Radiant has mostly soy based ingredients. For the person who mentioned mica-mica is a mineral, and in powder form, gives a glow to the skin. It also contains sun screen, and does not contain oil, which can clog pores and create skin problems. Why not try something that costs from $10-14 dollars? - if it does not work for you, no big financial loss. The product is doing very well, and they are not coming out with eye cream, night cream, etc., expanding their line. For those who want to talk about ingredients-have you ever read the ingredients in IT products from QVC ? Snail slime is one of them - check the ingredients, yourself.

Super Contributor

I went to an event a couple of weeks ago and Milani (drugstore brand) had a booth there. I spoke with one of the ladies who actually helps make some of the products and she said the same that a lot of what I've heard/read before. A lot of brands are manufactured in the same places, ingredients are the same, etc. With the mid-range/high end brands you're paying for the packaging, marketing, counter space, etc. The rep also mentioned that they've been been asked to sell their stuff in Sephora but she said that they won't because they want to be able costs inexpensive for the consumers. We'll see if that holds.

Honored Contributor

I think most of the ingredients are same. They are just packaged differently. The clean, moisten and refresh your skin, but that's about all. Great skin is through genes. Nothing more, nothing less. Since you can't pick your parents, we're stuck with beauty products. They are a lot like teeth. Some awful, some in between and some great. Just smile and keep them clean.