Valued Contributor

Question About Pressed Powder That Is Too Dark

I have a pressed powder that I got and used a few times, but it is just too dark for me. It's too late to return it. I'm wondering if I could get a really light colored loose powder and just crumble the pressed compact one into it and mix it together. Has anyone tried this? Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: Question About Pressed Powder That Is Too Dark

I'll be watching your thread, because I've wondered the same thing. I've recently stopped self-tanning and have a number of powders that I can no longer use because they are too dark for me now. I sometimes use them lightly as a bronzer (with mixed results, lol).

Valued Contributor

This is a department store powder, and the saleslady supposedly matched my complexion and it looked okay in the store. I guess I should have listened to all the tips that say you should check it in natural daylight. Sephora is selling a few travel sized loose powders that are practically white I've got my eye on if I can pull this off.

Trusted Contributor

Use it for contouring instead of a bronzer! I bet that it would look really nice and natural as a contour powder over your regular foundation. Or use it as a blending shadow for your eyeshadow. Use it to lighten and neutralize a too-deep eyeshadow. I use a too dark powder on my lids as a natural all over daytime shadow.
Honored Contributor

Try an Invisible powder like Smooth Operator by Tarte or Invisible loose powder by Laura Mercier. I own both. They are a white color.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

How long have you had the powder? Even if you have used it, since the brand's sales rep chose the color for you I would go back to the counter and describe the problem. This isn't like asking for a price adjustment on a clothing item you've already worn. Reason being you are only asking for an exchange of color to correct a mistake. The brand would rather switch the color and retain your loyalty rather than have you unhappy and trying another brand to get a better color.

Super Contributor

first off, where did you get it? Sephora or Nordstrom, will take it back anytime. If you can't return it, I would buy the same powder foundation, lighter than what you need, break them both up and mix them,and look up on youtube and see how to fix a broken compact powder with rubbing alcohol. does not end up looking perfectly pretty, but it does work. Let us know what you decide to do. good luck

Esteemed Contributor

You could also use it (as is) for contour, natural eye shadow, or as bronzer when you want a little extra color.

Super Contributor

I broke up my It CF and mixed it with my BE. The BE was to yellow and the It was very fair. I have mixed my setting powders as well. I've mixed the last of LM setting powder with a pink Korean setting powder. Take a little of it and try it. I've used nail tools to scrape across the top without breaking up the compact to see if it works first. If your skin isn't extremely dry you can also mix it with a little cornstarch to lighten it.

Trusted Contributor

Hi! I do this all the time and it works just fine Smiley Happy
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt