Honored Contributor

I read countless articles about how sulfates are bad for your hair. SO - I got a sulfate free shampoo. I do like it - For One Day - then my hair looks oily and dirty the next day. I would rather not go back to washing my hair everyday - it seems to dry it out. I am so tempted to go back to shampoos with sulfates in them. At least my hair looks nice for 2-3 days.

Super Contributor

You just got the wrong one.

Super Contributor

I agree, i use them on and off, but my hair is so much fuller, I just started using Dove moisturizing shampoo and oxygen conditioner. Love it. I can even go 3 days without washing without the greasies, which is better for my hair this way too.

Honored Contributor

As with anything else, there are good and not so good sulfate-free shampoos. And then of course, there's the individual's hair as well.

I've been sulfate-free for over a year, and my hair is in much better shape now, according to my hair stylist.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

I really like Giovanni Smooth as Silk moisture shampoo then I use Wen as a conditioner. The Loreal sulfate free brand dried out my hair.

Super Contributor

When my hair was healthy i got fine results from products that had sulfates, but I recently damaged my hair when I lifted the color and now I get MUCH better results from sulfate free products. When I use sulfate products my hair looks like the wen before shots now. Long way of saying I think that the health and type of your hair make big difference and of course there are lousy products in all categories. I find that it takes longer to rinse out sulfate free products - a few times i have had to re-rinse my hair because I quit rinsing too soon.

Honored Contributor

OK - I will try another brand. I bought a shampoo that I knew I liked the body wash and moisturizer. So I figured I would like the shampoo also. I even bought 2 bottles of shampoo.

Oh well - try try again

Super Contributor

wrong choice..

Honored Contributor

I never had that happen. I use alba Botanica Gentle shampoo that is sulfate free. Perhaps you can alternate between sulfate free and sulfate. I also use a volume shampoo by acure organics that is sulfate free.

kindness is strength
Frequent Contributor
I agree with you. The few sulfate free shampoos I've tried only give me one good hair day, then my hair feels limp and dirty. It defeats the purpose if I have to wash and blow dry my hair more often. It's less damaging to use a good quality sulfate shampoo and wash only a couple times a week. To counteract any drying effects of the shampoo, I use a really good conditioner on the ends, yet the roots stay full and bouncy.