Super Contributor

OT---Does anyone have the new Keurig with carafe?

I posted this in Kitchen Forum, too, but I think it is worth noting here---maybe because I am always drinking tea or coffee while browsing here!

I was shocked when I saw the new 2.0 Keurig in a big store nearby for only $119. The old one that I have is still $149. at most stores (I love it, btw) I checked the reviews online and saw that many were upset that it does not brew anything but K-cups. So if someone had a fave brand that was not an official K-cup, it would not work. Crazy.

So, Caveat Emptor...

If you have one, please weigh in...thanks!

Trusted Contributor

Re: OT---Does anyone have the new Keurig with carafe?

I don't, so shouldn't post, {#emotions_dlg.scared} I only have a personal Keurig. I don't think the 2.0's have been selling like hot cakes. I checked on the other personals that the Q had and there were only 2 colors left! I ordered a white that I'll stow away until I need it. My Cafe Caramel would be identified by the new chips but I just love that coffee maker.

I hope you find out what you want.

Respected Contributor

Kate, I do not have the Keurig 2.0 but I have read online that you cannot even use the old k-cups with the Keurig 2.0.

Honored Contributor

Keurig is a smart company.

They will replace broken machines just so you will keep buying K Cups. They make most of their profit from the K cups - like fast food stores make their profit from soda. My platinum machine broke down after 18 months. I called Keurig for help in fixing it (it was impossible). The rep sent me a new one for FREE - not even shipping. When I said THANK YOU - he said it was to keep my loyalty to Keurig - and he THANKED ME!!!!

This new model will be priced for less because Keurig wants to buy your loyalty to their k cups.

Very clever!!!

Respected Contributor

I don't have it (won't be buying it) but I did see it for $199 at Walmart this weekend.

Yes, it won't use unlicensed K-Cups; they are suffering from the end of the K cup patent. You can't keep riding such an advantage forever. Patents run out and pretty soon the copies are better than the original (viz; Apple vs Samsung.)

I received a Vue as a reviewer (I occasionally am asked to review things by various firms, long story about that) and though I liked it, it was obvious that Vue cups weren't going to catch on in a cheap K Cup world.

My feeling is that the option of a carafe will not tempt the majority to switch to the licensed machine and that cheap K cup brewers and cheap K cups will rule the day. K cups don't make particularly good coffee, in my opinion but as most Americans find K cup coffee acceptable, it doesn't matter that it's not 100 percent "gourmet" and brewed like you can in a French Press with hand-roasted beans from Indonesia. A cup ready in a minute as you fly out the door, costing fifty-cents is what most Americans appreciate, in their favorite flavor or brand, like Dunkin' or Maxwell House or Starbucks.

Let's see--but I don't hold out much hope.

Super Contributor

Thank you, all, for your responses.

I am pretty sure I saw it for $119...I know I did a double take! Could be wrong...

I would be one of those to assume the only difference is that you can now brew a pot of coffee (which I would have LOVED six years ago, but do not need now)---never suspecting that I could NO LONGER use my old favorites in it until I had ripped the box open!

I saw it being sold on the Q the other day---so I wanted to give potential buyers a heads up!

Super Contributor

Oh, just got back from Kohl's to buy the Keurig Descaling Solution ($12. online, $19 at Kohl's!) and yikes---there was a stand labeled "Discontinued K-cups" and there was the Swiss Miss, Starbuck's, the Apple Ciders,etc. K cups! They had the official Keurig stamp on them.

I think my Keurig is going to be obsolete ASAP...

Trusted Contributor

On 9/1/2014 Iwantcoffee said:

Kate, I do not have the Keurig 2.0 but I have read online that you cannot even use the old k-cups with the Keurig 2.0.

People have figured out how to use any K-Cup in the 2.0.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_ywWywmO7s

Esteemed Contributor

I think perhaps you were seeing one of the older Keurig models, not the newer 2.0 Brewer for $119.00.

****I stand corrected. I did an internet search and Target does have them currently back ordered right now at $119.00 dollars. I did not verify if I was comparing apples to apples, but it did look pretty similar to what I have seen advertised on QVC and Keurig site****

Esteemed Contributor

Kate, too many of us have the "old" k-cups by Keurig and everyone else. They aren't going anywhere.

You can descale using vinegar. That's what I did with my K40. It works like new!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.