Super Contributor

Does anyone have experience with JJ Labs MAP Vitamin C serum? I know NCN is supposed to be the best, but I just came across this brand and thought I'd ask the experts - YOU!

Honored Contributor

It's not the NCN's is the best, it's that the stabilized L-Ascorbic Acid is thought to be the best because of it's pH level. (I think I got that right). I've been using Mad Hippie Vitamin C (Sodium Ascoryl Phosphate) Serum for close to a year, believing I was using a great product because SAP is stable and more bioavailable. When the explanation of pH and penetration came up several weeks ago, I really had to re-evaluate what I was doing. I honestly like the Mad Hippie Serum quite a bit, but at that point was wrestling with the question of if it was the SAP or other ingredients that were benefiting my skin, because the pH of the SAP isn't low enough for proper penetration/absorption. That said, I decided to leave my longtime friend and give a new Vitamin C Serum a try. Angie, the Hot & Flashy blog lady, recommends Timeless Vitamin C + E & Ferulic Acid Serum. I've only been using it a few days, but no irritation or adverse reaction so far.

Super Contributor
On 8/31/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

It's not the NCN's is the best, it's that the stabilized L-Ascorbic Acid is thought to be the best because of it's pH level. (I think I got that right). I've been using Mad Hippie Vitamin C (Sodium Ascoryl Phosphate) Serum for close to a year, believing I was using a great product because SAP is stable and more bioavailable. When the explanation of pH and penetration came up several weeks ago, I really had to re-evaluate what I was doing. I honestly like the Mad Hippie Serum quite a bit, but at that point was wrestling with the question of if it was the SAP or other ingredients that were benefiting my skin, because the pH of the SAP isn't low enough for proper penetration/absorption. That said, I decided to leave my longtime friend and give a new Vitamin C Serum a try. Angie, the Hot & Flashy blog lady, recommends Timeless Vitamin C + E & Ferulic Acid Serum. I've only been using it a few days, but no irritation or adverse reaction so far.

I seriously just got through watching her videos on Retin-A/Vitamin C and her morning routine one. I haven't looked at that brand yet. Do you know the pH of the Timeless one? Also, is it MAP?

Honored Contributor
On 8/31/2014 F1wild said:

I seriously just got through watching her videos on Retin-A/Vitamin C and her morning routine one. I haven't looked at that brand yet. Do you know the pH of the Timeless one? Also, is it MAP?

Ingredients:
Water, Ethoxydiglycol, L-Ascorbic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Alpha Tocopherol, Polysorbate 80, Panthenol, Ferulic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Benzylalcohol, Dehydroacetic Acid, Fragrance.

The company's response to someone (no me), in the Q & A, regarding the pH level of their serum:
I QUERIED THE COMPANY, AND THIS IS THEIR RESPONSE:
Thank you for contacting us! The pH of our topical selection of vitamin C antioxidant serums have a fairly low pH range between 2.3-2.5. A pH value higher than 3 would have a significantly less absorbency rate into the dermal layer of skin, rather the product would sit on the surface.
Our topical vitamin C antioxidant serums include the inactive alcohol ingredient triethanolamine. Its properties are to enhance penetration of active ingredients deeper into the layers beneath the epidermis and adjust pH values. This increases absorption and thereby effectiveness of active ingredients. I've attached our product specification sheet of our topical Vitamin C 20% for reference.
We'd like to make you aware of many online competitors which provide inaccurate and misleading information about companies products' so this would cut into the market share and increase competition between brands. If you look at some reviews, some are non-amazon verified meaning the Amazon customer never made the purchase. Amazon's policy is that any Amazon customer can leave reviews whether positive or negative about any product on Amazon without ever having purchased it. Online competition has taken advantage of this as you can see. Product reviews should not just be read on Amazon, rather it should be read across all selling platforms to get an overall average feedback which can impact decision. Thank you.
Please do not hesitate to contact us again
If we can be of further assistance. We appreciate your business!
Kind regards,
Cosmetic Skin Solutions LLC
http://www.cosmeticskinsolutions.com
Twitter: CSS_ScienceLab
Like Us On Facebook
Toll-Free: 1 (866) 249-7817
Local: 1 (916) 290-8609
Fax: 1 (916) 760-8509 « Show Less

Honored Contributor

Ingredients:
Water, Ethoxydiglycol, L-Ascorbic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Alpha Tocopherol, Polysorbate 80, Panthenol, Ferulic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Benzylalcohol, Dehydroacetic Acid, Fragrance.

The company's response to someone (no me), in the Q & A, regarding the pH level of their serum:
Thank you for contacting us! The pH of our topical selection of vitamin C antioxidant serums have a fairly low pH range between 2.3-2.5. A pH value higher than 3 would have a significantly less absorbency rate into the dermal layer of skin, rather the product would sit on the surface.
Our topical vitamin C antioxidant serums include the inactive alcohol ingredient triethanolamine. Its properties are to enhance penetration of active ingredients deeper into the layers beneath the epidermis and adjust pH values. This increases absorption and thereby effectiveness of active ingredients. I've attached our product specification sheet of our topical Vitamin C 20% for reference.
We'd like to make you aware of many online competitors which provide inaccurate and misleading information about companies products' so this would cut into the market share and increase competition between brands. If you look at some reviews, some are non-amazon verified meaning the Amazon customer never made the purchase. Amazon's policy is that any Amazon customer can leave reviews whether positive or negative about any product on Amazon without ever having purchased it. Online competition has taken advantage of this as you can see. Product reviews should not just be read on Amazon, rather it should be read across all selling platforms to get an overall average feedback which can impact decision. Thank you.
Kind regards,
Like Us On Facebook

So I am confused about this- I don't see the ingredient triethanolamine in their ingredient list yet the mention it contains it. Am I missing something?

Honored Contributor

Hmmm, that's weird. Good catch, HD.

Honored Contributor

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. Perhaps the company doesn't list "inactive" ingredients but I think they should. And the way they are describing it, it really doesn't sound like an "inactive" ingredient to me.

OP, I don't like the addition of Benzyl alcohol especially. Honestly, overall, I am not really impressed with the ingredients. There really are much better vitamin C serums out there, imho.

Super Contributor

Ingredients:

Kind regards,
Like Us On Facebook

The pH question was answered by "Cosmetic Skin Solutions, LLC." not Timeless Skincare. This may account for the discrepancy.

Super Contributor
On 8/31/2014 HappyDaze said:

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. Perhaps the company doesn't list "inactive" ingredients but I think they should. And the way they are describing it, it really doesn't sound like an "inactive" ingredient to me.

OP, I don't like the addition of Benzyl alcohol especially. Honestly, overall, I am not really impressed with the ingredients. There really are much better vitamin C serums out there, imho.

Thank you, HappyDaze. I'm honestly looking for a better price, but comparable to Nancy's.

Honored Contributor

SMH! Now I don't know what to think. I guess the next one to try is NuFountain.