Trusted Contributor

I am 56 years old and have good skin with very few lines or wrinkles, just a few fine lines around my eyes. Several years ago, in my early 40's, I was dealing with some adult acne and the doc prescribed Retin-A. I had a huge red, irritating rash reaction and stopped it immediately.

The only thing I use on my face now is moisturizer and eye cream. I know I should be using something more, some kind of retinol, serum, something. My skin is normal.

Any recommendations on where I should start?

Trusted Contributor

I used to use a retinol serum by Neutrogena that I liked a lot before I started Retin A. It was highly rated by Consumer Reports and I did see some clarity and brightening of my skin with it. I can't remember which one I used, but I believe Neutrogena makes a few retinol serums.

Curious -- do you know what strength Retin A you were using? Could you try a lower strength? I am a Retin A believer!

Super Contributor

I use both Retin-A and the PTR Retinol Fusion PM (not together). You really do need to start slow with any retinol. Plus, a tiny amount goes along, long way. If you decide to go with the Rx I would ask for the lowest strength.

Honored Contributor

You sound as if your skin is doing well with your current regimen.

If you want to add any products, I would recommend retinol and a Vitamin C serum. There are a myriad of good choices. I also did not do well with Retin-A years ago, and now my derm advises that I stick with OTC to avoid irritation and dryness.

I use Paula's Choice Resist Intensive Wrinkle-Repair retinol serum, but she now has a stronger one available that is 1% strength. I don't know whether I will switch to it.

I also use NCN's Vitamin C serum and their Multi-Active Matrixyl 25% serum. Love them both.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor
On 8/31/2014 suzyQ3 said:

If you want to add any products, I would recommend retinol and a Vitamin C serum. There are a myriad of good choices. I also did not do well with Retin-A years ago, and now my derm advises that I stick with OTC to avoid irritation and dryness.

I use Paula's Choice Resist Intensive Wrinkle-Repair retinol serum, but she now has a stronger one available that is 1% strength. I don't know whether I will switch to it.

I also use NCN's Vitamin C serum and their Multi-Active Matrixyl 25% serum. Love them both.

SuzyQ, had you tried any other Vitamin C serum before you found NCN's? I know Nancy's is supposed to be the best, by many. I wish she had a sample size or maybe I should try a less expensive one to see if it works for me.

Super Contributor
On 8/31/2014 suzyQ3 said:

I use the Paula's Choice Resist Intensive Retinol Serum and NCN Vitamin C Serum too. I like to use the Vitamin C during the day and the Retinol at night. I had some problems with Retin-a too, so I've decided to stick with Retinol.

Super Contributor

I got a retinol product from my derm. It was so gentle and pretty effective---and very expensive. Sorry, I don[t remember the name, but asking your derm is an option. If I win the lottery, I will get it again!

People seem to like the IT serum...and Dr. Denese's products are good, too.

Super Contributor

I like Serious Skincare Retinol, I have a friend who loves Roc.

Respected Contributor

Dr. Jeanette Graf on HSN. I have very reactive skin and have had no problems. Price is very good also.

Super Contributor
On 8/31/2014 F1wild said:

I use both Retin-A and the PTR Retinol Fusion PM (not together). You really do need to start slow with any retinol. Plus, a tiny amount goes along, long way. If you decide to go with the Rx I would ask for the lowest strength.

I use the same things. I found that retin-a is hard on my skin except where I am oily. I am now using it on top of my night cream and although it works slower it does work. The cream also seems gentler than the gel but that is my opinion.