Honored Contributor

Need Nail Base Coat that is good for your nails -- Is there such a thing?

My nails have been in a bad way for quite awhile due to other health problems, and I have been unable to use any nail polish, etc. I sure missed having pretty colors to play with!

But to more serious matters --- my nails seem to be a lot better right now and I would like to have a base coat or product that I can wear alone or under polish if I choose, that is actually healthy for the nails, without drying them out, or making the chip and/or peel, and without a bunch of nasty chemicals. Is there such a product???

In the past, I tried so many nail products, nail polishes, etc., and eventually, they all seemed to cause more damage to my nails, then they did good.

I'd sure appreciate your suggestions!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Need Nail Base Coat that is good for your nails -- Is there such a thing?

The pink gel coat QVC has is excellent for a base coat. You can also get the one with no pink in it. They have also come out colored gel coats. I love the red one but they are not selling them alone at this time and only in a small bottle.

Respected Contributor

On 8/31/2014 Pook said:

The pink gel coat QVC has is excellent for a base coat. You can also get the one with no pink in it. They have also come out colored gel coats. I love the red one but they are not selling them alone at this time and only in a small bottle.

I like the pink gel coat also. My mother bought me a bottle as a ""just because gift."" It has really helped my nails and I have found that my polish does last longer without chipping. I am getting low and need to order some myself.

Honored Contributor

The pink gel is not free of chemicals. if you want something free of chemicals try something from the Zoya line of products.

Regular Contributor

TIPS doesn't provide it in their Q offerings, but if you go to the TIPS website [http://www.askcosmetics.com] they have a base coat, top coat, and color products.

You might also try the Barielle and Mavala lines, which are European based and follow the more stringent rules for Tolune and other chemicals.

Valued Contributor

I just bought a pink gel coat at BB&B. I have very bad nails due to health problems. I put it on by itself and it seems to do my nails some good. You can also use it as a base coat. Was up front and it was $10.00.

Respected Contributor

Nailtiques Formula 2. You can find it at a CVS, Target or online. Also pick up some Hard as Hoofs cream at your local WalMart or online. That has helped mine the most and is around $5 for a good amount given how little you use. I also used the Malava that you only put on your nail tip, but it is NOT chemical free. You can also check out Nail Magic and others at Sally's. The shop girls aren't very knowledgeable past what the package states. The one I use the most is Probelle Touch N Grow found on Amazon. I alternate between the Nailtiques and Probelle and use the Hoof cream.

Honored Contributor

I thank you for your suggestions. Yes, I was hoping for something which was more natural. Maybe this is not possible? As in the past, I seem to have problems with nail products --- they seem to cause my nails to chip, peel, etc. I do not know what is in these things to cause me problems, but I have tried so many -- and some of the ones you have suggested.

Maybe I just can't tolerate any of this stuff?

I am afraid to use anything any more. It's very frustrating. I keep looking on-line and there is a lot of stuff, but most is either laden with bad stuff, or things you don't even know what they are???

In any event, I do appreciate you taking the time to answer.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

Julep is pricy but its Oxygen nail treatment is very good. Zoya is also excellent and a better value than Julep and it is 5 free.

I also use Seche Vite Natural (which is not 5 free or even 3 free) and it does a good job.

Respected Contributor

Try the hard as hoof cream.