Valued Contributor

O/T Upset At My Instructor At Online Course I'm Taking

I read the first lesson, and took a true/false quiz and also answered a two question essay about the lesson. I answered the question he asked correctly, but got a lower score than I expected. I emailed him and asked him why, and he said I should have put down my theories about the subject I just studied. I'm not psychic, and if he wanted to know, he should have asked! I thought you were supposed to answer the question posed in a quiz or exam so the instructor knows you retained it/knows what he meant, and that's what I did. I think your opinions and theories or personal stories on a subject should be reserved for class discussion time or in the case of an online course, in discussion forums, which I would have gladly done (I love the subject matter of the course I'm taking, and would love to discuss it).

Also, he told me to watch my grammar (hello, grammarqueen here!) and I re-read the essay question and couldn't figure out what he meant, so I asked him. It was because I used a stupid ampersand (&)!{#emotions_dlg.mad}

Super Contributor

Re: O/T Upset At My Instructor At Online Course I'm Taking

I am sure he is just very difficult to please....maybe it seems impossible? Hang in there, it is so wonderful you are putting yourself out there and furthering your education. You will get to know what he wants and then you will WOW him. Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor

It simply sounds like you need to learn how to better respond to essay questions. It is entirely appropriate to back up your analysis with theoretical explanations.
Esteemed Contributor

Good answer, gazelle. College instructors are generally intense at the beginning of the semester. Figure out what he/she wants and comply. Hang tough. This may be one of those instructors you'll learn a lot from.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Contributor

It's terrific that you are furthering your education. Part of the learning experience is coming to understand how to communicate with the instructor the knowledge that you are acquiring and are able to apply. I can tell you have already learned from this experience. Next time you are presented with this instructor's essay questions, you'll know he is looking for more than surface info. Good luck with the rest of your course and learning how to get your money's worth from this learning experience.

Esteemed Contributor

I've heard on line classes are especially tough- probably the lack of 'real' interaction makes it even more challenging.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/30/2014 NC1Customer said:

It's terrific that you are furthering your education. Part of the learning experience is coming to understand how to communicate with the instructor the knowledge that you are acquiring and are able to apply. I can tell you have already learned from this experience. Next time you are presented with this instructor's essay questions, you'll know he is looking for more than surface info. Good luck with the rest of your course and learning how to get your money's worth from this learning experience.

Nicely stated. I agree 100%.
Super Contributor

On 8/30/2014 ibb38 said:

I've heard on line classes are especially tough- probably the lack of 'real' interaction makes it even more challenging.

I think what gets ME about online courses is that I have heard of those who have a family member "assist" them in the test taking, etc., and then they get the diploma, certificate, whatever---which enables them to get a promotion/position for which they are not really qualified.

They will then become YOUR supervisor. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor

On 8/30/2014 Goldengate8361 said:
On 8/30/2014 NC1Customer said:

Nicely stated. I agree 100%.

I agree. OP, take this as a lesson that you will most likely have to relearn with each different instructor you have. This is something that every student goes through (to some degree) at the beginning of each semester. Lord knows, I did!

Valued Contributor

On 8/30/2014 Goldengate8361 said: It simply sounds like you need to learn how to better respond to essay questions. It is entirely appropriate to back up your analysis with theoretical explanations.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm a college graduate and I've had many instructors. If they want you to do more than regurgitate back what they just taught you, they will add a phrase such as, "What are your thoughts on this?" This was also an end of the first assignment quiz, and not a major test where one would be expected to formulate theories and what not from what had been previously learned in the course or any outside research one would have done for the class.