Frequent Contributor

Did you ever consider maybe we just use too Many products ?? I cant keep up with all the new items . So my question is , how do we know what really works? I jump from one to the next. I almost NEVER use one for 30 straight days !!!! Just me ????

Honored Contributor

Re: Did you ever consider .....

For many years I used only one product for moisturizing and that was Ponds - then a friend gave me some argon oil she had tried but wasn't crazy about on her oily skin. I loved it ( I have very very dry skin) and I have been using that instead of the cold cream ever since. I never ever use any of those pricey products that so many seem to be addicted to. I tried a retin A product once and was so very sorry - I had a reaction to it so severe I had to go to the ER. My face looked like it had a second degree burn. Anyway, i find one good moisturizing product and use that only - and my skin is actually in very good condition. Not too many wrinkles and nice even color - except that I am a natural redhead so I do have freckles - lots and lots of freckles.

IMO - I think that often women use so much stuff on their faces 24 hours a day and it is a detriment to their skin - skin does need to breathe and I do think that sometimes your skin just needs to be clean. If I am not going anywhere I don't put anything on my face to hang around the house. I find when I have a full schedule and use MU every day my skin soon starts to break out in red areas and dry scaly patches.

Esteemed Contributor

It's just a saying...that skin needs to breathe. That isn't literal, of course. But skin does need to do its own thing, and sometimes without any help from you.

Skin does change, however, over seasons & years. When it no longer acts as it did in your youth, and you see the signs of this, I feel it important to nudge it along.

What I believe is that they sell too many things and target it to those who really do not need it.

I am fortunate in that I know exactly what works for my skin type at this juncture in my life, but it took a lot of trial & error and swallowing a lot of the marketing.

Frequent Contributor

I need to slow down, and NOT get sucked into all the HYPE !!!

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with HH's second paragraph above. I've always believed that using too many layers of different products is bad for your skin. Your skin needs to breathe. (is there an echo in here?) Also, changing products every few days/weeks must confuse your complexion -- I don't really know, I'm certainly not an expert. Unless you develop a bad reaction to a product, you need to give it more than 30 days.

So, to answer your question - yes, I think some use too many products and switch products too often. They're always looking for the next best thing.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I do think we use too many products on our body. I always go to bed with a clean face, I use my Boots No 7 cream under my pressed powder, concealer, and blush during the day. I use only whatever it takes to make me look and feel good ( takes a little more as the years go on Smiley Happy ). Nature is going to take its course no matter what we do, I feel that genetics has a lot to do with how we age.

Respected Contributor

Well I remember when I was a little girl I would walk over to my grandma's house. She was half Cherokee Indian and her hair was down just past her butt. She would brush and brush. Her skin was so velvety soft and I ask her what she used and she grabbed her bottle of Oil Olay and said to me " I use this everyday." Now I know it was the 80's but my grandma was in the sun for hrs a day working in her gardens. She was 93 when she died 10 years ago, and had very few wrinkles. On the right side of her face she had some wrinkles and she told me that when she was around 6 she fell of a horse and scraped that side of her face. The other cheek was so smooth. I work in a nursing home and most of the 90 year old ladies that have beautiful skin, if you look in their top drawer you will find a bottle of Oil Olay or Ponds cold cream!!! It's truly amazing how my grandmother kept it so simple, but she had to.
Valued Contributor

I wish that I could just put on some moisturizer and have smooth, even, firmer skin. But for me, it takes more. I do use items that I feel is what my skin needs at this time. Most are drugstore brands with the exception of my Isomers eye serum and retin a. I also don't wear much makeup, my skin looks better without foundation and powder. I do not jump from brand to brand.

You may need to just stop the flow for now and use up what you have. Then when you are ready, do some research as to what your skin needs at the current time. Also, if you can't stay away from the beauty shows you can still watch but use that time to give yourself a facial or manicure. Or get out all your skincare products and look at all you have to serve as a reminder that you don't need to buy more. Smile

Super Contributor

Sure--that's why I make myself use up what I am using first, unless I REALLY hate it. I try to use only one anti-ager and then a moisturizer or argan oil. Layering too many products on just can't be good for your skin.

Super Contributor

On 8/30/2014 wvumountiefan said: Well I remember when I was a little girl I would walk over to my grandma's house. She was half Cherokee Indian and her hair was down just past her butt. She would brush and brush. Her skin was so velvety soft and I ask her what she used and she grabbed her bottle of Oil Olay and said to me " I use this everyday." Now I know it was the 80's but my grandma was in the sun for hrs a day working in her gardens. She was 93 when she died 10 years ago, and had very few wrinkles. On the right side of her face she had some wrinkles and she told me that when she was around 6 she fell of a horse and scraped that side of her face. The other cheek was so smooth. I work in a nursing home and most of the 90 year old ladies that have beautiful skin, if you look in their top drawer you will find a bottle of Oil Olay or Ponds cold cream!!! It's truly amazing how my grandmother kept it so simple, but she had to.

BIG DAY TODAY, WVU!!! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}