Contributor

Eyelash loss. Tried castor oil, coconut oil, almond oils, can anyone help?

Hi, I am in my 40's and suddenly finding myself loosing patches of lashes ONLY on the top lashes only.(approx. last 7 mos) Regrowth is taking forever and I have tried all the natural oils recommended via online and also the makeup brand lash accelerators/growth formulas too with no luck. I have seen my Dr. and had my thyroid checked as this can sometimes contribute to lash loss. I wanted to add, I do not ever use mascara on my top lashes, only on my bottom so it's not like they get coated with anything? I only curl them with a lash curler. And I have not used anything new or changed anything in my beauty routine so I am at a complete loss of ideas about this and why this is happening and what I can do or use to remedy this. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

If anyone has also experienced this, I would love to hear your story. TIA

Super Contributor

Re: Eyelash loss. Tried castor oil, coconut oil, almond oils, can anyone help?

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this, I know it can be upsetting.

I use Rapidlash on my eyelashes and eyebrows with good results. But, since you said the lash growth products did not work for you maybe you should think about lash extensions.

Super Contributor

i use andrew lessman's hair skin and nails with nice results.

Super Contributor

This happened to me due to hormones when I was younger. The castor oil really helped me, but I hated the film it left.

They do have those eyelash grower serums now---I would see the eye doc for a prescription---and to get it checked.

AND---you don't curl AFTER applying mascara, I hope! That is madness! {#emotions_dlg.mellow}

Esteemed Contributor

Things don't happen suddenly without a reason. There must be something new for you in those last 7 months or so, something that changed. color cosmetic/makeup? cleanser? skincare? method? medication? diet?

Maybe you are getting a skincare product too close to eyes?

You might want to try stopping the lash curling for a while; maybe this is causing too much stress & making your lashes weak.

I would also try good supplements, i.e., those recommended by PMS 24/7.

Frequent Contributor

Mine started in my early 20's. I saw every doctor I could. Only the top lashes. And yes it took forever for them to regrow, only to have others fall out. One eye worse than the other. The one doctor thought it was because of steroid shots I took for being severely allergic to chemicals (hairdresser). I swelled and my skin became raw on my hands. No matter what gloves I used. My skin was so bad I had no choice but to get the shots. After 6 months I gave up. I left that profession. Wouldn't you think once I stopped the shots I would be back to normal? I went years with sparse lashes. Anyway, my lashes were never the same. Until now. I decided I wanted to try Latisse. My eye doctor talked me out of it. Then I bought RAPIDLASH. OMG!! within 30 days I had then back. Then they started to fall out and my eyes were swollen and itchy. I stopped using it. I went back to using it, but am just using every other day. Works perfectly. Plus side is its so much more inexpensive than Latisse. Good Luck as I know exactly how you feel.

Super Contributor

I had the exact same thing happen around age 52- right around menopause. But the funny thing is I thought all of it was from my left eyelid, which started looking bald. The right eyelid also lost lashes but not nearly as much.

My eye doctor said it was nothing to worry about, and my dermatologist just said it was aging and gave me a prescription for Latisse, which is expensive (comes to about $100 a month, if I remember). So I'm not taking the plunge yet on that and am very interested in learning more about the alternatives people are suggesting here.

Couple of questions: does Lessman's Hair, Skin and Nails help specifically with hair (and eyelash) loss or is it just about strengthening the hair one already has?

Can the castor oil cause breakouts or skin inflammation on the eyelid?

Thanks so much in advance & good luck to you, OP. You're not alone!

Respected Contributor

It may be a mascara that is drying them out? I forget which one I was using, but when I switched mascaras I realized that was happening to me. I also started using Physician's Formula Eye Booster 2 In 1 Lash Booster Eyeliner + Serum (I use the Deep Brown thick liner type) & my lashes started looking so much healthier. Longer, too. Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Primer seems to keep my lashes nice. These are just a couple of simple things to try. I hope that you figure out what is going on.

Trusted Contributor

My eye Dr. told me I had to start using an eyelid wash (OTC) to breakdown oil deposits. Really helps.
Honored Contributor

OP said she doesn't use mascara on her top lashes everyone.

I lost my lashes due to chemo; they have since grown back but are so sparse and fragile that I rarely wear mascara either. I have taken 10,000 mg of biotin everyday and that seems to help my nails and my hair too. It's not an over night thing tho, will take several months but it really makes a difference. I did use the rapid lash too, and maybe saw some improvement but not that much. I will prob try false lashes on special occasions but need to figure out how to put them on. They look so natural when applied right.