Super Contributor

O/T--Any KINDLE/FIRE on 5-pays at Amazon

I read through the offer and there is no interest etc. Any new Kindle from Amazon is eligible.

For those who use the most basic KindleFireHD 7"/$139...are you pleased w/it? And for someone like myself and my daughter, who is not a gamer but just browses the web...would this be a sufficient tablet?

There are similar tablets at Best Buy for $69 w/Kit Kat android OS...sigh...

I am tempted to try the Fire also because my daughter has a college e-mail address which entitles her to Amazon Prime at half-price.

Anyway--the website says "while supplies last" so I am thinking they are clearing out inventory for something "new"!

Valued Contributor

Re: O/T--Any KINDLE/FIRE on 5-pays at Amazon

Yes, I finally thought the Kindle Fire HD 7" was a bargain last black Friday of last year at the price you stated. It is a very good purchase. I would also recommend a tablet cover for convenience, it is worth it. This is my first tablet.

You won't be sorry. The convenience factor alone was worth it. Now, I have a very nice e-book library when I'm bored with the web and done looking at email. Won't be with out it. Buy it while you can at that price. I've not seen the price lower anywhere else.

Super Contributor

thanks for your reply! I ordered it...and am reading through the many pages (and pages!) of Reviews....a mixed bag to say the least!

Respected Contributor

You need to be cautious: the old Kindle Fire HD is not the same as the Fire HDX. I went through a number of these and realized that the best one is the Fire HDX. They are getting rid of some older versions and sales come up from time to time

The HDX is slimmer, a lot lighter weight, has more memory, is faster, and the screen is a lot easier to read. I really recommend it over the HD.

The one on the special deal is the older HD, but the larger size (8.9" rather than 7") It is heavier than the 8.9" version of the HDX and not as good.

The problem with getting the older version is you probably buy ONE tablet or Kindle, and then you have it, so it's better to save up and get the newer and just buy it once.

If you want a CHEAP Kindle, just for reading, the basic one is excellent. It is 6" and it is black and white with the "e ink" that makes reading easy. I have one of these for the office (where I don't want to take my more expensive one) and also for outdoor reading because you can see the Basic in sunlight but not the HD's. The battery lasts for WEEKS. I'm always charging the HDX, but the basic is running for a long time so it's great if you are stuck on a train or plane and can't recharge it.

Super Contributor

5 pays on Amazon????

Super Contributor

Yes--5-pays on Amazon.I was surprised to say the least!

At least--on my page. I am aware that Amazon, shall we say, "tailors" web-page content to each individual account holder. Sometimes I am not sure if a price I pay is the same as a price someone else pays! heh

CAMPION_thanks for your detailed reply! I have an original Kindle which I rarely use....not sure why exactly..but perhaps the hundreds of actual books I have collected (compulsively! heh) have something to do with it!

Respected Contributor

On 8/29/2014 fitnessfreak said:

Yes--5-pays on Amazon.I was surprised to say the least!

At least--on my page. I am aware that Amazon, shall we say, "tailors" web-page content to each individual account holder. Sometimes I am not sure if a price I pay is the same as a price someone else pays! heh

CAMPION_thanks for your detailed reply! I have an original Kindle which I rarely use....not sure why exactly..but perhaps the hundreds of actual books I have collected (compulsively! heh) have something to do with it!

I had a HUGE library (and this after my parents threw out my books when I left for college. I had put them in a box in the closet but even the one box I wanted to keep was apparently too much for them to bother about.) Never mind, I amassed another library years later and finally, I began to sell it off as some of it was valuable but I wasn't using it. And...it was a bad year for us financially. That really helped.

My first Kindle was the Keyboard and I did love it but when I got the HDX, that is when I really started preferring the Kindle over print books and magazines. Now I don't have the clutter issue of books I want to read again (or even magazines) and I'm planning to get rid of most the rest of the library, which is kind of large even though it's down by 2/3rds.

The ONLY thing that bugs me about the Kindle is that publishers are still in the dark ages about how to produce a good Kindle book and the pictures or charts are often not able to be expanded and are almost useless.