Respected Contributor

Anyone have Fructose Malabsorption?

I've just been tested and the test ended early, an indication of positive, but I have two more tests to go before I meet with the doc to discuss the results (lactose and lactulose small intestinal bacteria). I've been reading up on it, since I love fruits and veggies. I am going grocery shopping tomorrow and want to start fresh. I am planning on a green smoothie diet cleanse for as long as I can stand not having solid foods, at least 5-7 days. My other tests are on the 9th and 12th, so I have time to do some repair to my gut before them. Does anyone else have this and tips on how to survive?

Super Contributor

Re: Anyone have Fructose Malabsorption?

Is that type of interim diet recommended by your doctor?

You may want to post your question on the Health & Fitness forum since there are several medical professionals & well-informed people there.

Honored Contributor

Can adding a good probiotic to your diet help replenish the gut with beneficial bacteria in order to perhaps keep the other non-beneficial bacteria at bay? Has your doctor suggested anything like that? I am not real familar with that type of bacteria so I am not sure if it is that simple with that type of bacteria-it could be a pretty hardy/determined type that are better at utililizing food sources and can therefore ""override"" the other type of bacteria.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the Health and Fitness plug. I'm off to there.

Yes to the probiotics, but I already take that and will need very large doses of it and possibly antibiotics plus a fructose free diet and time.

Super Contributor

dr will probably suggest the FORMAP diet. google it. i went thru it too. no fruit for me.

Valued Contributor

(first post didn't show up at first so I wrote again--- below). Technical difficulties????
Valued Contributor

Thanks for this post --- I've not heard of this issue except the aggravation of Candida Albicans. I'm going to look into it for myself as I eat & drink lots of organic fruits & juices and dink a multivitamin/mineral powder containing Fructose. Looking into this so good luck to you. BTW there are a myriad of probiotics and strengths which I still haven't figured out. Some might help & others might be a waste of money or aggravate the gut. I hope you have a smart nutritionist to guide you?
Esteemed Contributor

My granddaughter has sucrase isomaltase disorder and lactose intolerance. It means she cannot digest foods that contain those sugars, starches, and dairy products. It took two years until they couid get a diagnosis and she was a very sick litte girl in the interim. There is a prescription liquid enzyme that she takes to allow her to digest very small amounts of those foods. Fortunately, insurance covers it because it's outrageously expensive. I don't know if similar products are available for your condition but you can ask the doctor. My daughter has developed amazing recipes so that my granddaughter, now 16, can be properly nourished but it is a definite challenge, especially when traveling. If you are mssing the enzymes to digest certain foods, you need to adhere to a strict regimen to avoid getting sick. Good luck!