Regular Contributor

I would love some suggestions to solve some problems. My skin and cosmetic needs are changing and what has been working is just no longer working well.

1. I have a huge sunspot on my left cheek and very, very dark circles under my eyes. The IT Bye-Bye under eye has been working, but is beginning to look took cakey even if I make it as thin as I possibly can.

2. The only brow marker I've had much success with is the IT Cosmetics Your Brows But Better, but I haven't been able to get the right mix to make it look as natural as possible. My brows are very light and it's hard to get a solution, especially since they are thinning.

3. I found a Stila lip tint that works, but Stila doesn't have a lot of light colors for someone with light skin and fair features.

4. I switched to matte shadows and use Urban Decay primer for shadows and things stay put but by end of day it looks a little cakey.

5. I have a horrible time finding a light enough eye liner to look natural against thin lashes. Smashbox Taupe was perfect but they quit making it so I switched to Mally's Taupe and it's okay, but you have to have a very fine line for it to look natural against thin lashes. Solutions?

Honored Contributor

1. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Try using more eye cream BEFORE applying concealer.

2. Brows: try dying your eyebrows with Just for Men hair tint. A box should last a very long time. Get a lighter color, apply, wait for 5 minutes & your eyebrows will have color. Fill in lightly w/ less brow coloring.

3. Lips: how about a lip balm w/ light color? I use Lip Smackers Dr. Pepper....moisturizing & a bit of tint.

4. Moisturize & primer.

5. Try using light brown eyeshadow, wet. Or even a darker color dotted between lashes...and not a line. I use Jordana brand from Walgreen...lots of control.

Hope this helps.

Esteemed Contributor

I have very fair, sensitive skin with a ton of allergies and issues. About six months ago I went thru the similar problem with my makeup. First, I use Dr. Denese skin care line. It works for me and helps improve some of those skin issues with unevenness.

Dark circles under the eyes-- I have suffered with this for years. I use the Dr. Denese eye creams at night but for the day I use First Aid Beauty eye triple strength eye cream. It has a brightener in it so it really helps with the dark circles and puffiness. On my worse days I will also use either Bobbi Brown conceal, correct, seal or Mally under concealing system. Either works great!

Eyebrows--I have black brows for my very fair skin so I have the opposite problem that you describe. I like Mally's brow cream because it really stays on. However, YBF on HSN has a great eyebrow pencil that is truly universal. I was using that for years and really works if you are seeing a gray hair or two. It stays on. You can get the color that you want just by the amount of pressure that you do or do not apply. I still use that on days that I'm not overly active.

Lips--I love Dr.Denese Lip therapy. It's a treatment and nude color that works on fair skin. It's a nude that fair skinned women can wear. I also love Mally's all in one lipshine products. Josie Maren makes a lip therapy and I have had good luck with her products.

Eyeliner-- I like Mally's eye pencils. They last but come off easy at night. They come in a large array of colors and shades. I have found the green and brown shades are as nice as the black to line my eyes.

Eyeshadow-- I have a ne favorite and that is Bobbi Brown's eye shadow palette. It really looks good on fair skin. You can layer it or not but the color hue really shows nicely on the eye. It masks those little lines of red/blue that seem to peak thru unless you have on something dark. I do like Mally's eyeshadow sticks but I wanted to find something in a lighter color from her taupe. I think Bobbi Brown does a great job with her "nudes" line because it really does work on fair skin. This is the first nude that actually works for me.

Hope this helps you.

Honored Contributor

Tightline placing your eye liner pencil between your upper lashes. It adds thickness and looks great. I suggest you look at Laura Mercier for under eye concealer. She has several choices and if something doesn't work out, you can return it. Check out Lip Shimmers by Burt's Bees that offers a very light shade of pink. Laura Mercier's eye shadows in matte are very nice and if you need foundation, she offers many different shades for pink, yellow & neutral undertones.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I'm 59 and sick of lipsticks! Long lasting ones dry my lips out and I just can't find a good color anymore. I tried the Burt's Bees Shimmer Lips, and while the color was pretty, the shimmer was just too much for me. I thought it made me look older, as it emphasized every line in my lips.

BUT, I just bought some Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balms and love them! There are several colors--I got Rose, Hibiscus and Honeysuckle. The Rose and Hibiscus look dark in the tube, but go on very sheer. They just make my lips look moisturized and natural-but-better. For longer-lasting color, I use CoverGirl Lipstains and apply the balm over that after it dries.

I may never wear traditional lipstick again.

Honored Contributor

I second Kat's recommendation for Laura Mercier matte eyeshadows. I have tried just about every brand, and I can't find any that are smoother, creamier, or better pigmented. You don't mention your age bracket, but these are very flattering for "changing" eyelids. Wink

They also come in a variety of very sophisticated shades. I generally stick with light shades but with maybe a touch of color in the crease and outer edges of my eyes.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

For the dark spot and dark under eye area. Try ASDM lightening cream or hydroquinone cream. You will have the best luck with the hydroquinone cream. They are at asdmbeverlyhillsdotcom. They have reasonably priced products that do work. A couple of ladies on here have been using the products as well. Also if you aren't using Vit C serum that will lighten and brighten your skin. I also highly recommend Rose Hip Oil. I had spots on my left hand and a scar. When I apply my oil I put it on the back of my left hand and dab it on my face with my right hand. I noticed last night that the scar and the spots are gone. For your under eye try Maybelline Age Rewind Dark Spot Concealer. It will brighten your under eye over time.

I am extremely fair with thin eyebrows (product of the 70's) and I use Smashbox On The Go Browtech. It is a powder in a pen that you can use lightly or heavily. The other side of the pen has wax to set the brow powder.

There are many lip products out there that are nice. I have a MAC and a BB that are nice and they are light. I to tend to purchase Missha Lipsticks and Glosses because they make my lips lineless and they have light colors. There is oil in them that make your lips feel great. Those are at Misshadotcom, ebay, Amazon endotkoreadepartdotcom.

Eye shadows, no recommendation.

Lancôme and EL has gel liners in bronze that look very good and are lighter. I used the taupe in Smashbox years ago and switched over to the Lancôme and EL because they stay put longer. I also love BB gel but hers is a darker brown. You can also check the Korean MU site for liners in lighter colors and they run in the 5.00 plus range for the stick liners. I use a shadow/liner pencil in Rose Bronze that is very pretty by Missha. Tony Moly also sells the combination pencil.

Regular Contributor

Thanks ladies. You've given me lots to think about and explore. I'm 61 and I seem to go through this about every 10 years where I have to find new alternatives in cosmetics and skin care. Thanks for taking time to reply.

Honored Contributor

I recommend Anastasia's brow powder duo. I have very sparse brows, and that's what works well for me. I also use her duo brush with the spoolie on one end and applicator brush on the other.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor
On 8/28/2014 Ptaz said:

I would love some suggestions to solve some problems. My skin and cosmetic needs are changing and what has been working is just no longer working well.

1. I have a huge sunspot on my left cheek and very, very dark circles under my eyes. The IT Bye-Bye under eye has been working, but is beginning to look took cakey even if I make it as thin as I possibly can.

Look for a product with Haloxyl to get rid of the dark circles. iQderma RestoreEyes helped with mine. That was a few years ago, and they never came back. But I also do an eye lymph massage every day (and generally eat healthy), so that all helps, too.

Don't have any recs for a good concealer.

2. The only brow marker I've had much success with is the IT Cosmetics Your Brows But Better, but I haven't been able to get the right mix to make it look as natural as possible. My brows are very light and it's hard to get a solution, especially since they are thinning.

What color hair do you have, and what shade are you looking for? You can try Joan River's Great Hair Day. But it's really a good brow brush you may need. I use Smashbox (with the Smashbox original Brow Tech.)

3. I found a Stila lip tint that works, but Stila doesn't have a lot of light colors for someone with light skin and fair features.

Apply with a lip brush, and however dark or deep the color lipstick is that you already have can be applied lighter with a brush. Maybe apply a lip balm first, your lip color, and the lip balm on top to soften it.

4. I switched to matte shadows and use Urban Decay primer for shadows and things stay put but by end of day it looks a little cakey.

Not a lot of recs here. I don't care too much for eye primers. But sometimes applying a bit of face powder (the kind you'd blot your nose with) with a dry, soft brush will help to keep any shadow in place.

5. I have a horrible time finding a light enough eye liner to look natural against thin lashes. Smashbox Taupe was perfect but they quit making it so I switched to Mally's Taupe and it's okay, but you have to have a very fine line for it to look natural against thin lashes. Solutions?

My favorite pencil liners are Sephora waterproof. They have a lot of shades. http://www.sephora.com/retractable-waterproof-eyeliner-P230234?skuId=1118033

Or, you can apply any eye shadow. Just need a good brush. Or, smudge out the eye liner that you have with a dry brush.

Sounds like brushes are the tools you need to get some of the results you want.