Frequent Contributor

Any of you "older" women out there try to grow out a pixie? Had it cut in May and hate hate hate it. I always had a chin bob and wanted to change it up and now I am suffering. What should I do. How often should it be trimmed if I want it to grow out? Used Calista embellish but can't tolerate the fragrance. HELP

Respected Contributor

As long as your hair doesn't have a lot of damage you can have it trimmed twice a year until you reach the length you are most comfortable with. I know there are hair stylists that told me to have it cut every 6 weeks but they ended up just cutting off too much and it took a couple of years to get to a chin length bob. I had a pixie a few years ago and did the every six month cut and reached my goal far sooner than when I trimmed my hair every 6 weeks as recommended.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

If you need thickness try aquage thickening spray gel. Really works great. Get your hair trimmed when you can't tolerate the way it looks. Before you know it, your hair will be the length you want.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I am thinking about doing this also, have worn my hair short for a few years now. I am at that stage where I can't stand it and tempted to get it cut. Maybe if I just get it colored and a few highlights I could tolerate it for a little longer. Let see what everyone else has to say.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not growing out a pixie, but growing out my layers.

Stimulate your scalp for growth w/ rosemary essential oil (other oils do this, too). Horsetail extract is great on hair, but not all these are alike.

Make sure you eat well and get all your vits & mins. Exercise can't hurt either.

Frequent Contributor

I'm growing out long layers too, and it's taking FOREVER. I have been faithfully getting a trim (less than 1/2") every 8 weeks or so, but that still takes off too much growth. At 58 I decided for the first time in my life to have really long hair. Now I know why I never did - I'm too impatient!

The only advice I can give you is BE PATIENT and look the other way...

Super Contributor

I'm in the process now. The guy who does my hair has suggested that I go in ever six weeks for trimming the ends.

I've been working on it now since about May ... we are still trying to find an easy care style so each time I go in for a trim, we do something new.

I really like what he did last time ... I go back in late September for my next trim.

Super Contributor

The last time I grew out a pixie, at first all I had trimmed was the length - kept the length slightly below my nape and the front at the bottom of my ears until the shortest hair above my ears got close to being even. The stylist occasionally evened up the layers. Wore a lot of headbands, but it was the least painful grow-out I've done. Now I'm growing out my natural grey - just about as frustrating.

Valued Contributor

I cut my hair into a short style, almost a pixie about 15 years ago. I have started to grow it out at least once a year. No success, I hate it when it gets too long to have any style, but not long enough to look good either. I end up cutting it every time. I finally have given up and I guess my long hair days are over. Oh well, it is so easy to style and I am cooler in the Summer. Good luck with growing yours out, I wish you great success!!!!

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor
On 8/28/2014 okiebug said:

The last time I grew out a pixie, at first all I had trimmed was the length - kept the length slightly below my nape and the front at the bottom of my ears until the shortest hair above my ears got close to being even. The stylist occasionally evened up the layers. Wore a lot of headbands, but it was the least painful grow-out I've done. Now I'm growing out my natural grey - just about as frustrating.

Exactly how I did it. I would only get just the ends trimmed every 12 weeks. I also wore a headband every day to be able to tolerate it but it grew back relatively fast.