Super Contributor

Best Red Haircolor Brands ??

Thinking about going red. Medium red, not copper. I've done this with a dark auburn (L'Oreal) and a strawberry blonde (salon) but this was like 20 years ago.

Is red too harsh at my age? 20% gray, 50s. I don't look great as a blonde. I have Y/O skin tones and green eyes. Natural hair color is level 6-7, tendency to pull red with 20v developer.

I would go with something at Sally or if you have good box suggestions.

Respected Contributor

Re: Best Red Haircolor Brands ??

Personally I would have a color like red done at a salon. I have a friend where I work and she said she colors it herself, it is a sort of medium auburn but her hair so dry, no shine at all.

Valued Contributor

I would suggest going to Sally's and getting the Ion Brand. Ask one of the associates for assistance. I don't think red would be too harsh, as long as you don't go too dark with it.

Super Contributor

What kind of red are you looking for?

I'm going to assume something with a more orange base (think copper) as opposed to a red base (think burgundy) since you don't want it to come out looking harsh. I also think a red base would look severe with your skin tone and coloring, based on what you've described.

I have naturally bright copper red hair, but I often get asked what color dye people should use to get their color to look like mine.

I also have cool-undertone skin that is the palest of the pale and green eyes.

In general, I find that L'oreal Techniques, sold at Sally's, has the most comprehensive shade range in their "Mega Reds" line. One bottle for a single application costs about $6.

If you are looking for a vibrant yet natural-looking copper, MR1 (which is a Level 7 with a 20vol. developer) would be the perfect shade. This is the closest to the color of a natural redhead.

If you are interested in keeping that vibrancy, MR2 is a shade darker (this is a level 6 with a 20vol. developer), and would be perfect for the cooler months if you are one who likes to change their hair for the seasons.

L'oreal's Feria line also has several good options for natural reds, the most subtle being #74 (Copper Shimmer). They run about $9 a box for a single application.

However, just like most box dyes, this line contains metallic dyes which will react with any other chemical process you put your hair through, should you decide to use it. Just a word of warning.

Hope this helps! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Contributor

I go to Sally's and buy clairol in the tube. I miss 6RR (dark reddish blonde) and 5NN ( neutral brown), gives me a nice brownish red. I am 61 and very gray. Using a straight red will give flaming roots, the brown tones it down. I used to use the brown for my roots only. and then go over with the red but they got time consuming. Now i use half and half. I have been red since high school. next step would be go gray. I am not ready for that yet. boo-boo, not miss 6RR meant to say use. Senior moment.
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I went red about 7 years ago. I had tried the box colors and they seemed to damage my hair. I'm using ION from Sally's and I mix a medium red brown and a medium or light copper brown or copper blonde together. I am in late 50's and it is not too harsh for me. I tend to use the lighter colors during the Summer and darker in Winter since that is when my hair would naturally change. I've been very happy. Red is a hard color and I have now found that by using WEN products, that my color stays and doesn't come out. Hope I've been helpful.

Super Contributor

if your hair is short enough to do it yourself, sallys is the way to go. used to model for l'oreal, but now i only use clariol reds 3RR. 4RR. 5RR and the lightest is 6RR. one month this color, next month the next color. i use 20 volume. comes out looking natural if you don't leave it on toooo long. 20 minutes for roots and 5 minutes for pull through to ends. start lightest, get your bearings, and go forth into the exciting world of redheads.

Frequent Contributor

I just started using Madison Reed bought online and you can send them your photo and chat or speak with a colorist who helps you pick the right shade. Awesome customer service and covers gray great. They send coupons all the time
Super Contributor

Thank you to all :-) i do get my color at sally's...for the fall/winter will ""try on"" a deeper copper or auburn semi or one of the demis. Zotos Age Beautuful offers several reds and the Wella demi isn't hanging in there for my grays anymore. I know with demi i can only go same shade or darker. I do get ""hot roots"" with permanent color...my hair is very long and have to consider the new color will grab...have lower-third of head scattered with 20v and 30v left from prior highlight color.

thanks again ladies!!! :-)

Respected Contributor

I use Vidal Sassoon Medium Vibrant Red shade 5RR. It is at most stores. My natural color is dark blonde but was colored a dark auburn when I put this on. That was over a year ago, so all my hair has grown out and the color is still the same consistent shade.