Valued Contributor

They changed my favorite hairspray and can't find an alternative!

I have thick ;sort of wavy hair that can go flat easily if I use too much product, any smoothing products etc. I have used SAMY Fat Hair hairspray for years and they just changed the formula and now it is "amplifying" and has "shine" properties in it. My hair goes completely flat and gets way too soft with this new one and I have tried 4 other hairsprays this week which more or less do the same thing: Sebastian Shaper Restyling, Garnier with bamboo, Got to Be, Kenra which is really expensive and not sure what to try next. (all stores will take it back with the receipt).

What hairspray do you use for all day hold that is not sticky and does not make your hair too soft and unmanageable?

Honored Contributor

Re: They changed my favorite hairspray and can't find an alternative!

I use WEN Volumizing treatment spray as a hairspray. Doesn't take much and the hold stays all day.
Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Super Contributor

I have tried too many hairsprays to count, but I always go back to Sebastian Shaper Plus. Costs more, but worth it to me.

Super Contributor

Aaahhhh!! I use the Samy Fat Hair also. Is it the one in the can? Shoot I just ran out and need a new can. I flip my hair back on one side so it needs some serious hold while the rest of my hair only needs a tiny bit.

Super Contributor

I have started using Aveda's Brilliant spray and it's wonderful. It's not an aerosol, which is great.

Super Contributor

And, it smells good which is not true with many sprays.

Honored Contributor

Nexus has a hairspray that gives flexible hold (not sticky or stiff) also Clairol Naked hairspray which is also a flexible hold & really nice scent.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I haven't used these, but Nick Chavez has some products called Red Carpet Extra Hold Finishing hairspray, Volumizing Extra Hold hairspray (this says in the description that it won't weigh the hair down or cause a build up), and Flocker Extra Hold hairspray. Nick also mentioned that when you use his hairsprays, you have to hold it 10 to 12 inches away from the hair so it'll work well.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Valued Contributor

On 8/24/2014 Katluvr58 said:

Aaahhhh!! I use the Samy Fat Hair also. Is it the one in the can? Shoot I just ran out and need a new can. I flip my hair back on one side so it needs some serious hold while the rest of my hair only needs a tiny bit.

The new formula says Advanced Repair on the can with a list that it volumizes, holds and shines. Smells really nice but again, within a hour my hair is flat and feels greasy.

I always bought it at Walgreens and may try a few other their stores to see who has the old formula still in stock to hold me over until I find a new favorite. Darn. I got yet another awful haircut (at the tune of $52!) and the right product to hold this mess in some sort of style is important.

Thanks everyone and keep the suggestions coming.

Valued Contributor

On 8/24/2014 Katluvr58 said:

The new formula says Advanced Repair on the can with a list that it volumizes, holds and shines. Smells really nice but again, within a hour my hair is flat and feels greasy.

I always bought it at Walgreens and may try a few other their stores to see who has the old formula still in stock to hold me over until I find a new favorite. Darn. I got yet another awful haircut (at the tune of $52!) and the right product to hold this mess in some sort of style is important.

Thanks everyone and keep the suggestions coming.