Trusted Contributor

OT (?)--Do you have a tattoo?

Have been toying with the idea of getting one. Will be doing research on local businesses to make sure the place I go is reputable & safe. I know this sounds crazy, but I'm a librarian & am thinking about a tat that's book-related. Have found some interesting ones on Pinterest. Anyway, just wondered who has one (and where is it, if you care to share that information) and are you OK with the fact you got one. Thanks in advance for all responses.

Respected Contributor

Re: OT (?)--Do you have a tattoo?

I got my first tattoo when I was 55.....I'm 61 now.

Not one regret....and would love to get another.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

I have two. Neither are anywhere that can be seen unless I want to show them to you. I have a small dragon on my hip bone great spot but hurt like heck because of course there's no flesh there and the second one I got after my father died, my daughter and I decided to get a stem of orchids on our rib cage in the style of watercolor in his honor. my father was an artist. we researched first looked at reviews etc and actually looked at different artists' work before we decided on who we wanted to do it and it came out beautifully . incidentally the rib cage hurt too!
Honored Contributor

Yes. My daughter and I got matching Celtic crosses on our ankles a few years ago. It's not too large, took all of 15 minutes to complete, and I was in torture! Even so, I'd like to get a couple more (small ones), but I don't know that I'll ever really go through with it.

Respected Contributor

no

Respected Contributor

No tattoos for me. I don't think they look good on pasty white skin, and it's just not my thing. That said, I REALLY appreciate the skill of a GOOD tattoo artist who can create a work of art on a lump of human flesh. I'm not talking about the artist who is tasked with creating a picture of a rose and it looks like a rumpled up Kleenex, if you know what I mean. I'm talking about the person who can do a full sleeve or a pastoral on an overweight back and have it look like the sample or photo after which it is modeled. That's real talent.

Respected Contributor

No....never will. I think they look cheap/tacky.

Super Contributor

On 8/23/2014 hulagirl said:

No....never will. I think they look cheap/tacky.

I think the same thing.

Trusted Contributor

My tattoo was my 25th birthday present to myself, and I love it. If you are going to get one remember be sure of what you want and if there is any words in the tattoo, make sure the everything is spelled correctly before having the tattoo done and make sure the tattoo artist doesn't have any question on the spelling. Have you seen the TV shows about the tattoo artists did not spell a word in a tattoo correctly.

Also be sure you are positive where you want it, and make sure your work area doesn't have a policy or a problem with visible tattoos.

I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer, but these are things to think about. My tattoo does not show and I have never regretted getting it.

If you do decide to get one I hope you have no problems and have fun picking one out. Let us know what you pick out.

Esteemed Contributor

No, but my son's seventh grade English teacher had two: one on the leg and one "about an inch above her butt crack." I know this because my son and his friends used to laugh about it when we were carpooling. Apparently, she often bent over in front of the whole class and they all could get a view of the backside because her clothes didn't cover it.