Contributor

Skin Care, Milia, Argon Oil - What am I doing wrong?

I thought I would check with you knowledgeable ladies to see if you could help me out. I spent most of my life using Ponds Cleanser, and a drugstore moisturizer with no real problems. Since I am getting older I thought I should amp up the products I was using. I tried using Dr. Denese's Hydroshield, and I noticed I was getting a lot of millia (found out what that was from you gals). I then purchased her pads to hopefully clear that up, and stopped using the Hydroshield. I was then just using a tinted moisturizer (Laura Geller, Loreal) followed by IT Cosmetics bronzer & blush (very pale skin here). It seems I am still getting more millia. I have rather dry skin, and definitely need a moisturizer. After reading the excitement over Josie Maran's TSV, I ordered and received it. Here is the regimen I followed - Ponds Cleanser, Dr. Denese Pads, Argon Oil (waited about 5 minutes) then JM's Protect & Perfect. I waited and waited, and the Argon Oil/Protect & Perfect never absorbed into the skin. I blotted with a tissue and applied the IT bronzer & blush. My face feels tight, but also feels greasy. Does that make sense?

What am I doing wrong? What moisturizer can I use that won't contribute to the millia problem? Why isn't the Argon Oil absorbing into my skin (and making me look 10 years younger)? Are these upper end products just too classy for my dime store skin?

Any suggestions? Your assistance is much appreciated!! Thanks!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Skin Care, Milia, Argon Oil - What am I doing wrong?

I have dry skin and get milia if the product has dimethicone. I know I wasn't able to use dr. D products for several reason but can use Josiemarans products no problem. I cleanse, exfoliate every couple days and use the Argan milk (which I love). I tend to use the Argan oil at night or if I am feeling very dry but I use very little. Don't know if this helps or not but look for any ingredients in you pond and/or dr d that end in 'cone'. From what I understand silicones cause milia problems for a significant amount of people.
Honored Contributor

Isn't milia caused by clogged pores? I used to have a problem with milia before I started using Philosophy cleanser and exfoliating duo. I haven't had milia problems in 10 years. I do not think oils are good for the skin, I did try argon oil and my skin broke out. I always try to stick with one brand of cosmetic so I can pin point what it could possibly be if I do have a reaction to the product. If you never had milia before and was able to get away with using drug store skin care, I say more power to you. Seriously, I think for the money and the fact that Philosophy skin care is tried and true and gentle for all skin types, I would try one of their kits that include cleanser, exfoliator and moisturizer.

Respected Contributor

It sounds like silicone overload. Stop everything, esp. Dr. D. Hydroshield. Peel pads are good for exfoliating but really look at what moisture you are using. I'd go back to you old regimen and then introduce only 1 new product 2-3 weeks at a time.

Respected Contributor

If you like oils, try a different one. No product works for everyone. Argan oil broke me out too. I like facial oils so I kept trying other oils until I found one my skin likes - Camellia oil.

ETA: I do better with single oils rather than a variety of oils blended together.

Honored Contributor

I never had milia before I began using Philosophy eye creams. Aside from the WHINE serum, the rest of the line was not good for me at all. I tried Argan oil, but that didn't work either. I use a Camellia oil cleanser every night and my skin is clear now. Everyone reacts differently to certain products/ingredients. Silicones don't bother me, but in the case of the Philosophy eye cream, it was too emollient for my skin.

Regular Contributor

Argon oil broke me out too. I totally agree about dimethicone too...causes whiteheads and milia for me too. I'm very careful to not use products that have it anywhere near the top of the ingredient deck. Tarte's maracuja oil does not break me out if you still want to try an oil. You can get it much cheaper than her price though, at sites like vitacost or iherb. Sometimes it's under a different name, that I'm blanking on at the minute...maybe someone else can think of it? I swear by it for dry winter skin. I'm combo so don't need it in the summer. I also use arnica oil, which is very healing and helps with broken capillaries and under eye darkness. Tamanu oil is very good too...Peter Thomas Ross has it in his products...same as Camu-camu, different name only. Rose hips oil caused me milia and whiteheads on my face too, but is good for under eye firming.
Respected Contributor

""Are these upper end products just too classy for my dime store skin?"" made me laugh out loud! I wish I had an answer for you (Josie's argan oil does wonders for my skin) but I just wanted to stop by to thank you for the chuckle!

Regular Contributor

Just want to add that I use Isomers and some Skinn products for serums and moisturizers. I highly recommend Isomers everyday exfoliating serum (glycolic and salicylic acids) and her Clear skin acne kit (2% salicylic acid) to address the milia you have now. Words great! Most of her moisturizers do not have dimethicone, and sink right into exfoliated skin. Daily exfoliation is a must, as the Philosophy user said. Right now I'm using Isomers new body exfoliator in the jar for my face very morning, as it does not have the lab created mico beads that are causing problems in our Great lakes.You may need to add in glycolic and salicylic acids to your regime. As far as dimethicone, I just read the ingredient decks very carefully. Sounds like you will have to also. Good luck!
Honored Contributor

Keep it simple. Hopefully, your milia has cleared up. I recently discovered Neutrogena's Pore Refining facial wash which will not dry your skin out. It cleans your skin so good and no film left in the sink after washing. I use an oil once a day (Marula oil) which is excellent for dry skin and more antioxidants than argan oil usually mid day. I use a light moisturizer in the morning and acure organics night cream. My products are all under $20. I had a problem with milia but I had to discontinue a moisturizer I was using & now it's fine.

kindness is strength