Regular Contributor

Any users of a personal steamer similar to the one Dr. Gross sells on QVC?

Honored Contributor

No, but ever since a discussion a couple of weeks ago, that included facial steaming, I've been thinking about it off and on. If I ever decide to delve into steaming, though, I'd go with an inexpensive Conair.

If you're committed to getting the Dr. Gross style, there's one on drugstore dot com by Lashem for less money, and you'll get free shipping.

Super Contributor

I had one (like the Conair that JLF is referring to) years ago and really liked it a lot. Now you've got me thinking about getting another one. :-)

I haven't watched the Dr. Gross presentation -- does he mention why his is more of a nozzle instead of a full face?

Honored Contributor

Just happened upon another one that's styled like Dr. Gross', on the Walmart website for only $55.

Super Contributor
On 8/23/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

Just happened upon another one that's styled like Dr. Gross', on the Walmart website for only $55.

What's the thought behind the nozzle style vs the full-face -- do you know, JLF?

Honored Contributor
On 8/23/2014 MarenSeattle said:
On 8/23/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

What's the thought behind the nozzle style vs the full-face -- do you know, JLF?

With 100% certainty? No. However, when I've had professional facials, the nozzle type was used. That makes sense, because the client is laying down and the steam comes out of the nozzle/wand and is directed downward with a little "give" to make directional adjustments. I don't know for sure, if the nozzle can be removed and handheld for use if the person is sitting upright. The full face just seems easier to me, for personal home use, because you just stick your mug right in the opening and there's little room for error.

Regular Contributor

I looked very carefully at the one from Walmart and ordered it. I examined it closely, incuding the info. on the box and also went to the manuf. web site. I am convinced that Lashem's, Dr. Gross's etc. all come from the same originator and produce the same small particles of ionic steam which is the key. Walmart had free shipping and was the lowest price anywhere. Thank you for finding the one at Walmart.com. (This same brand sells for $100 other placs.)

Honored Contributor
On 8/24/2014 acatgirl said:

I looked very carefully at the one from Walmart and ordered it. I examined it closely, incuding the info. on the box and also went to the manuf. web site. I am convinced that Lashem's, Dr. Gross's etc. all come from the same originator and produce the same small particles of ionic steam which is the key. Walmart had free shipping and was the lowest price anywhere. Thank you for finding the one at Walmart.com. (This same brand sells for $100 other placs.)

Sounds great! I hadn't considered the "ionic" part of the equation, but it does sound like it's better. I read from one reviewer that if you want the steam to clean out your nasal passages, the cheap Conair is fine, but that it's ionic steam that makes nano particles that are 4,000 times smaller than with regular steam. Regular steam will just condense on the surface and drip off whereas the ionic particles will penetrate more deeply to flush out the junk. That's the whole purpose of facial steaming, in the first place, right?

You'll have to let us know about the actual operation of the machine, the adjustability to get the steam directed where you want it, if you can safely add oils or herbs, etc.

Regular Contributor

Will do. It's coming Friday.

Frequent Contributor

I purchased Dr. Gross steamer in a flash sale prior to the availability on the q, less than half and free S&H. I do not know about now, but at that time there was a identical looking one on Amazon, and I thought it was from the same manufacturer with his name.

I have used a steamer for years, and the Conair is Ok better than not one at all.

The one at Walmart in a quick glance looks the same, if I did not have one already, for the value I would get this one as you did.

I hope you will enjoy it