Valued Contributor

OT/anyone ever use the Saint Anthony prayer to find things?

We moved a couple months ago and still haven't unpacked everything, the garage is still full of boxes of stuff. I needed to find a certain outfit for my daughter, so I said the prayer and it was in the first box I looked in! Just thought I'd share in case anyone needed to find something fast, maybe it could help. "Dear Saint Anthony please look around, (item, person, etc...) Is lost and needs to be found".
Respected Contributor

Re: OT/anyone ever use the Saint Anthony prayer to find things?

I grew up in a neighborhood with the majority of people being Italian. The women swore by praying to all different saints for different things.

Frequent Contributor

When I was little my grandma would always SING this little prayer & ask me to sing it to! I still sing it when I need help finding something! Grandma would use it to ""find"" parking spots too!
Frequent Contributor

On 8/20/2014 sparklestar said:

I grew up in a neighborhood with the majority of people being Italian. The women swore by praying to all different saints for different things.

That's funny sparklestar I'm Italian!!
Super Contributor

St Anthony and St Jude for finding things. You try St Anthony first and if it looks hopeless you ask St Jude. The older I get the more I need them, lol. I am Polish and was married to an Italian. Love my saints.

Respected Contributor

St. Anthony has never let me down! I didn't know there was a specific prayer, I just say The Our Father with an intention to St. Anthony, and throw a few ad libs in for good measure.

Respected Contributor

wow...this is so neat and yes, i STILL say it, learning it in childhood! i almost always find the lost item. i grew up in a mostly polish neighborhood in baltimore and this was very popular as well as praying to many other "angels and saints."

"saint anthony, saint anthony please come around (name the item) is lost and cannot be found."

Respected Contributor

A Catholic here who is Scottish, and afterward ( saying the prayer) we make a small offering of thanks to benefit the Poor when our object is found.

Respected Contributor

What is the prayer? I need to find a good husband!

Honored Contributor

On 8/20/2014 bmorechick said:

wow...this is so neat and yes, i STILL say it, learning it in childhood! i almost always find the lost item. i grew up in a mostly polish neighborhood in baltimore and this was very popular as well as praying to many other "angels and saints."

"saint anthony, saint anthony please come around (name the item) is lost and cannot be found."

I think there is another line, but I don't remember it all - does anyone else -

Dear Saint Anthony please come around, something is lost and cannot be found. If you will help me, how grateful I will be .....(anyone know the end????)