Esteemed Contributor

Ouidad vs Devachan salon cut

Next time I'm in Manhattan I'm treating myself to a curly hair cut and can't decide which salon to try. My hair used to have ringlets without product &/or using a diffuser, with age they've softened quite a bit. Plus I've grown out all my layers to chin length and now have more of a wave than curl. I want my curls back!

I don't like to fuss and most days lately have been bad hair days. Has anyone had experiences with each - and can you comment? From what I've read on line Ouidad seems to be for those with coarse curls- and Devachan is more the opposite.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ouidad vs Devachan salon cut

When I wore my hair curlier I preferred Devachan, I had a Quidad cut that I could not style for the life of me, two weeks later I have Devachan style and it was great for me.

Only thing is both cuts cost a good deal of money

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/20/2014 Usedtobeoxox said:

When I wore my hair curlier I preferred Devachan, I had a Quidad cut that I could not style for the life of me, two weeks later I have Devachan style and it was great for me.

Only thing is both cuts cost a good deal of money

I know, that's why I'm researching it like crazy!

The Broadway locale has better reviews on line than Soho, certain stylists names are mentioned too. I figure it's time to move up from Great Clips! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Esteemed Contributor

Haven't had either cut (would have loved to), but wanted to comment on the hair changes you experienced and say I've had the same problem.

Previously, my fine hair was cut very layered and my curls were lovely! I could wash and go with minimal products and no styling. It was a gift as I used to fight my curls and spend hours trying to get rid of them.

However, as I aged, the curl pattern changed and those lovely curls were impossible to achieve. My solution was to grow out the layers and have my salon do a Pravana Smoothing treatment so I could go straight without too much trouble.

While I miss my curls, it seemed they were gone and I couldn't get a cut to enhance what I had left.

I hope you get a cut that helps you keep your curls, but I've given up on them {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Frequent Contributor

I don't have any experience with Devachan, but I do have some with Ouidad. I went there about ten years ago when my hair was long and quite curly. I wanted to go from below-shoulder length (quite a bit below the shoulder) to shoulder length. The stylist at Ouidad refused to cut it to that length, saying "you won't like it". She took a few inches off in the Ouidad method. And then she started with the products. By the time I left the place, I had curls all right, but I also had so much greasy product in my hair that I could not wait to get home and wash it all out. The next day, nobody could tell that I had a haircut. The next weekend, I went to my local place, got my hair cut to shoulder length, to rave reviews. I have to say I cannot recommend the Ouidad salon. And the real bummer? Ouidad herself was at the salon that day and had her famous curls blown out straight!

Super Contributor

I went for haircuts at Ouidad for about 8 years and now I go to Devachan (it's been another 8 years).

I much prefer Devachan - the salon, the haircut, the results, the products all wonderful! My Devachan haircut lasts 4-6 months so the cost is well worth it.

I go to the salon on Broome St - they start with a dry haircut, then take you to an upholstered lounge for your hair wash, conditioner, neck, head & shoulder massage. Then back out for styling products (love angell), clipping, and hair drying.

I can always count on my hair looking great when I leave the salon. The morning of my daughter's wedding she & I both went to Devachan salon. I got my regular haircut and was confident that it would look perfect for the wedding!

I just recently switched to a short, layered bob (after having medium length hair for years). With a haircut at a regular salon I would need a haircut every 6 weeks - it bushes out on the bottom. With Devachan, it still looks good up to 6 months later.

Good luck!

Regular Contributor

I have had both cuts with dramatically different results. The techniques are polar opposites so choose wisely. The Ouidad cut was extremely upsetting and disappointing to me TBH.. They washed my hair with their shampoo and conditioner and got started. The cut was one length with very very slight layering but really almost blunt. Then they go back in with the scissors with smaller sections and literally use the scissors like a razor and thin out your hair dramatically. They call this "carve and slice". This whole process is done on wet hair. You can feel the hair being sliced off. I am a hairstylist and they didn't know this and when I mentioned that I did not want my hair thinned they *insisted* that they were not thinning it. I've been in the hair business for 7 years and I know what they were doing. I was not about to start any tension with the person cutting my hair so I let them finish. After the cut there was a ball of hair about the size of a watermelon on the floor. I understand that I have very thick hair, but curly hair does not do well with razor cuts. Google it. It's common knowledge. And that's exactly what they did. They used the shears as you would a razor and thinned my hair dramatically. Then they started adding product after product and diffused me. The results were that "still wet" look with very crispy chunky curls and still flat on top which is what I was trying to get rid of. It was made worse by the fact that my layers we're gone and he applied so much gel on the hair near my scalp. I was not happy but I paid my bill ($150) tipped him and left. My hair was much shorter than what I asked for (I wanted it past my collar bone and it was just above my shoulders) and when I washed the next day the products had dried my hair soooo much that it took me an hour to detangle vs 15 mins. Not sure if it was the shampoo (since I've been using wen forever) or the styling products or the combination. My hair felt so thin at the ends I wanted to cry. Literally. Fast forward 2 years of regular trims to grow out the thinned ends and I decide to try Devachan. I called and specifically asked if they thinned the hair. They said no. Repeatedly. So I made the appointment. With Devachan, they use no poo which made me happier from the get go. They washed and styled me before the cut and although they used a lot of product, they knew how to apply it. My ringlets were defined but touchable. The they go in and cut a curl at a time almost and it just went from triangle to rounded instantly before my eyes. She was soooo attentive to every ringlet. And because my hair was dry. I didn't have to worry about shrinkage. It literally the best haircut of my life. I still go to her and I am planning on getting certified in NY next year so I can bring my curly hair clients they joy she brings me. I actually send her my curlies for cuts all the time, bc let's face it, they don't train cosmetologist to cut curly hair any differently from straight hair and it's two completely different kinds of hair! It's ridiculous but true. I get one 1-2 a year and it really lasts. And when I wash out the products, my hair feel hydrated rather than dry and brittle. It was night and day. I walked out of Ouidad with tears in my eyes and walked out of Devachan texting all my friends pictures of my new do. I hope I helped you by comparing my experiences Smiley Happy
Contributor

I don't know about devachan but I love my Ouidad cut. My first ouidad cut was in the city at the main salon - I now go to a local salon where she is Ouidad trained.

I have baby fine, baby soft ringlets - my sister has thick coarse curls - we both get Ouidad cuts so I do not agree that it only works on coarse hair.

and I do not have to use a lot of product.

and my hair has grown way below my shoulders

Super Contributor

I highly recommend the Deva Cut. The stylists are trained to "encourage" your curl pattern with the 1-2-3 process after they cut your hair. I love their low-poo, One Condition, the gel. They also are great teachers! They show you exactly how to apply product, how to scrunch in product to encourage curl patterns, how to clip for volume while drying, then how to scrunch out any gel crunch you may have when dry. Honestly, the entire Devachan experience from color/cut/styling has changed my life. Just wish I had found it earlier!

Contributor

By Devachan, I am assuming you mean a 'deva cut'. I live by a salon that sends their stylists to NYC to learn how to give a Deva Cut. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my curly hair now!!! I HATED it before the Deva Curl cut. I have fine soft hair. My hair is very curly now. I have had this hair cut for about 1 1/2 yrs now and I love it! My stylist cuts it dry first then washes it and dries it the Deva Curl way. I was not aware that Quidad has a way to cut curly hair. I have tried their products and they did not work for my hair type. I use only Deva Curl products b/c they work best with my hair type. My daughter first found this stylist and the Deva Cut. She has beautiful curly, longer hair. She has 'botticelli curls' and I have 'corkscrew and botticelli curls' http://www.mydevacurl.com/curly_lifestyle/curl_types.

Treat yourself! You will not be sorry!!!!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}