Respected Contributor

Haven't Been On Airplane In 10yrs...Help With Make Up Carry On

Ladies I haven't been anywhere in a long time....and 10yrs or so ago they didn't have all these rules about liquids. I have one of those 1 quart size drugstore travel size bag things (came with small approved bottles). I see one is very limited in what they can actually get in this small bag.

I am only planning on putting in the items that I can't get say at a local drugstore if they lost it in checked bags. My face wash...Isomers vit c + e serum....face lotion.... a spare set of contact lens and foundation.

So my question is what about all the other make up one uses...eyeliner, mascara, lipgloss, concealer and bronzer? can I just put these items in my carry on bag??

I plan on putting everything else (mouthwash, toothpaste, body soap & lotion, sunscreens, shampoo/conditioner) in checked bags.

I am just concerned about my make up getting crushed if I put it in a checked bag. Yrs back I would simply carry that stuff onboard.

Also if anyone knows about medications (did read the TSA site for this too) I like to carry my prescriptions in my purse with me. They are in my script bottles of course....but what about say advil? Or allgery medication sold over the counter??

If you have travelled lately and can give me pointers on how to pack my carry on bag for make up I really appreciate that help!

Respected Contributor

Re: Haven't Been On Airplane In 10yrs...Help With Make Up Carry On

Are you checking a bag too? Or just doing the carry on?

n/m.....sorry....somehow I skipped right over the ""checked bag"" part of your post.

Where ya going?

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

Your mascara, etc. will be fine in your purse or carry on. Don't know about contacts as I don't use them. The TSA website says any OTC (over the counter) stuff like Advil is fine, make sure it's in the original container.

I travel once a year and just got back from Southern California. A couple of things have changed: You no longer have to put your keys in the bin that goes on the conveyer belt (new from last year), and I noticed a lot of people my age or thereabouts, I'm 66, get their boarding passes marked with an X and are told they do NOT have to remove our shoes! yay

The TSA website also says to keep your medications (no limit on container size) in the ORIGINAL marked containers. Hope this helps.

Contributor

I fly at least once a month. Put the foundation and lipgloss in that quart bag. Mascara and other makeup that isn't liquid can just go in your carry on and not in that plastic bag. I carry my medication on always. The only medication I've had an issue with is my aerosol nasal spray. For aerosols you need a drs note and call ahead to have a note on your reservation. I see people lug big carry on bags. I never do this. I bring a large handbag/tote. Ziplock bag, iphone, medicine, car keys, hand sanitizer snack and that's it. Enjoy your trip.
Frequent Contributor

Its best if you check the TSA website. They have very clear descriptions of what you can and cannot take on a plane. Prescription meds you can take in your purse or carry on as long as they are not liquid.

I hope this link works its from the tsa website with the rules. http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/3-1-1-liquids-rule I used to be really worried about puttling makeup, etc. in my checked luggage but so far so good. Put whatever you're taking on the plane with you in a quart size plastic bag. If you are not going for a long trip its great to take sample size stuff. Have fun on your trip.

Trusted Contributor

I carry my makeup in my carryon if I am flying to FL. I've had makeup melt in a checked bag. I don't use liquid foundation,but stick it in that quart bag. Maybe you'll get lucky and get TSA pre-approved. Your stuff still goes thru the scanner,but you can leave shoes on. Have fun.
Honored Contributor

And be sure it's a ZIPLOCK bag, not one that you squeeze the top together.

Respected Contributor

Yes that's the link I have been reading....I think I am just nervous that I'll do something wrong and get in trouble LOL!! All my meds are pills and in the original script bottles...so I will keep them in my purse.

Thank you for the help....I just wanted to be sure I was understanding these new rules. I did purchase smaller size bottle of items we use as the trip to Vegas is only 5 days and all those basics will be in checked bag so no worries there.

I already transferred my other liquid items into the approved travel size bottles that came with that bag. I did put the spare contacts in there too...as they are in a tiny amount of liquid and sealed. I always bring a spare set in case I drop one (like I did on bathroom floor last week!) and I'll be carrying on my glasses and shades!

Contributor

Don't worry about doing something wrong. People do that all the time and they are usually pretty nice about it. Well maybe not JFK airport. Smiley Happy I tried bringing a vase through the TSA in Scotland and got separated from my hubby because the vase had lead in it and it shows up all black on the monitor. The TSA in other countries aren't as nice. Where are you going? Also I find the criteria differs greatly depending on the airport. Some say no bins some say take out the iPad some say take out the ziplock while others don't say anything.
Respected Contributor

My carry on gets searched everytime. I have a lighted makeup mirror. It is a travel mirror, but it is as big as a regular one, but the stand folds down. I have that in my carry on. It is heavy, but I can't go without it! The mirror is the kind you plug in, not the battery type.

I get searched every time because they see the round mirror and then all the electrical wires. They said it looks suspicious.

I still take it! I don't want to grow a beard while vacationing.