Regular Contributor
I'm in my 40's and still breaking out. Please tell me how you use this in your routine. What other facial products do you use? I have been to many dermatologists and have tried pills- potions - machines- accutane - you name it. I'm not searching for a miracle just a treatment that is less harsh- toxic- and may just help keep this acne calmed down! Thank you. Also- any thoughts on the new proactiv plus?
Regular Contributor

Re: Buzz in acne users! Help..

I use the Proactive products and find them very good and not harsh on the skin. In my 50's and this keeps my skin clear and I use it also with my Clairsonic, a great duo to keep the skin clear! Love them both!

Honored Contributor

I have never used that. I have been using Isomers Australian Exfoliating Cleanser which helped exfoliate & clean out my pores. I was still getting acne around my temple areas for some reason so I bought her Clearskin cleanser & lotion & it has cleared it up. At my age you would think no acne. Maybe I have it now since I did not have it when I was a teenager. Salicylic acid & sulfur products always seem to help me more then benzoyl peroxide type products. I also have the 1% salicylic acid gel made by Clinique.

Occasional Contributor

I've been through it all with a dermatologist too. I was even on Accutane three times (over a span on many, many years).

I now primarily use Buzz on Acne. It isn't a miracle, but seems to keep my acne down. After I wash my face and dry my face, I shake the BOA and spritz it on my face twice a day.

I also occasionally use salicylic acid pads (Clearasil) and often Peter Thomas Roth unpeel pads. I have very dry skin. I use the PDM dermabrasion machine weekly and argan oil twice daily (after the BOA dries).

Every once in a while the BOA seems to not work. I'll switch to something else for about a month (benzoyl peroxide), then I switch back.

I have not tried Proactiv+.

Good luck.

Respected Contributor

My skin cleared up almost 100% with BOA, Mario Bandesu Enzyme Cleanser, Their Glycolic Toner and then I would use my BOA then Murads Skin perfecting lotion. Mario products are great and not so many ingredients so my skin doesn't seem to react to them, they will send you samples too.

The Murad product, i get the best price on Amazon plus they have great reviews you can read there.

Trusted Contributor

I never tried the new ProActiv Plus because my skin completely cleared up with Buzz on Acne before it came out. I did use the original ProActiv for many years with limited results before I found BOA.

When trying BOA, it is important to comply with the instructions that Denise lays out on the website. Do not use BHA's (salysilic acid) or benzoyl peroxide with it! And no sulfur products either.

I do use an AHA cleanser that seems to be okay for me, but no other AHAs that remain on the face. BOA contains fruit enzymes and so other AHAs are not needed. I also use Retin-A for anti-aging now (it previously did nothing for my menopausal acne) along with BOA; but I discontinued it for awhile and only added it back in slowly after several weeks with just BOA.

I did not comply on my first trial with BOA and paid the price, meaning it did not work as intended. When I gave it another go 3 months later and followed the "rules", I cleared up within a week. That was 5 years ago this month. I have never quit using it and never will. I use it twice a day every day.

My peri-menopausal 40s and menopausal 50s were very acne filled years. I only wish I had discovered BOA before age 59. But since my acne (sore, red,nodular type consistently on my chin) was still going strong at that age, I say better late than never! BOA is the closest to "a cure" I have ever found.

So to answer your question as to what I do use with BOA? Either a creamy cleanser or a foaming AHA cleanser. Cranberry oil or Aloe Vera gel and sunscreen daytime. Retin-A at night. That's it.

Hope this helps.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Regular Contributor

Thank you all so much. I did order the boa spray So I'm hopeful . I will follow all of the directions. I just never thought I would have acne for literally 25 years.
Trusted Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Good luck lynbeechwood and I wish you the same success with BOA that I have enjoyed. Give me a shout out if I can help answer any questions after you receive your first bottle.

Or if you would rather, don't be afraid to e-mail Denise for her expert advise. I was always one who didn't want to bother her. But I finally learned that she does not mind and is ever so helpful. Smile

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Super Contributor

I do not have acne but I do have breakouts. I've been using tea tree oil and it's keeping my skin on an even keel.

Super Contributor

I do not have acne but I do have breakouts. I've been using tea tree oil and it's keeping my skin on an even keel.