Regular Contributor

Sorry for the OT post but at this minute I'm miserable. Last week I slipped and took a fall flat on my behind and then my back and head went down. I had a headache for a day and felt a bit beat up but two days later I started having really bad pain in my tailbone area. I have a lot of other back issues but none of them seemed worse after the fall so I didn't go to the Dr. Tonight I have so much pain trying to sit. Getting up and down is the worse but just getting situated in a chair is awful. I called my insurance plan nurse and she said that there isn't much to be done for a bruised tailbone but to call my Dr. in the morning. She did say he probably won't do much and that it must heal on it's own and that could take months!!!! Has anyone had to deal with this? Is there anything to do for it and does it really take months to get better?? TIA for any help.

Super Contributor

I think the Dr will be the best thing. Tonight you could try a pain reliever like Naproxen and maybe someone can run out to the drug store and get you one of those inflatable round pillows you sit on to take pressure off your tailbone. Hopefully it is just bruised (and nothing more serious)

I really hope you feel better soon!

Respected Contributor

SUZYQUE, you must be miserable. I would see my dr. and he may want to have x-rays taken for a correct diagnosis.

Super Contributor

SUZYQUE

I did this in 1993 when I fell on a wet marble floor, I suffered for so long they finally told me I had probably cracked my tailbone at the time. There is nothing they can do about it, it just has to heal on it's own. Yes trying to get up out of a chair or trying to sit down it very painful. I'll try to be delicate here but it felt to me like I was carrying bricks back there. I took pain medicine for a long time but I'm not going to tell you how long because everyone is different and I don't want to encourage or discourage you.

One thing that helped me was brace yourself on both arms of a chair sitting and standing let your arms lift you up, it helps a little. I rolled to the edge of the bed and used 2 canes to lift myself out of the bed.

One thing you will do for the rest of your life now is watch every step you take and try to prevent another fall. It's been 21 years but not one day goes by that I don't think about it with every step I take.

Be careful and I hope you can get something for your pain.

Respected Contributor

It's possible you broke your coccyx or tail bone. It breaks easily in a fall. (Ask me how I know! I broke my leg slipping on a wet hill a dozen years ago and didn't realize I'd also aced the tailbone.)

Here's the deal--you can't do much for it except two important things:

1. DON'T GET CONSTIPATED. Ask your doctor what to take (like a softener.) The tailbone moves when you go. It will hurt like the dickens. I was scu-reaming on the throne. No one told me not to get constipated and because late DH refused to cook for me when I was not able to manage the kitchen or shopping, I was not eating right (with broken leg) so got stuck. Don't let this happen to you!

2. You can get a pressure memory foam pillow to sit on that relieves direct pressure on the bone. They used to be only foam donuts but recently they've made memory foam ergonomic pillows that are anatomically shaped and even better. You can put these on your chair or your carseat and they really help. You may need it a while.

Honored Contributor

If you haven't been to a doctor, is it your thought that you bruised your tail bone? I have back pain and see my doctor every 2.5 weeks. So Please see a doctor in case you've done more to your back than bruised it. I thought I'd pulled a muscle...please see a doctor.

Super Contributor
I bruised my tail bone after a tumble down the stairs. There isn't much the dr can do beyond pain pills. It's just one terrible spot for a bruise. In the meantime you can ice it and try to sit as little as possible. If you do take rx pain pills do take a stool softener or eat some prunes because if you get blocked up that makes it worse. Oh and mine took a few months to heal but it wasn't the same level of pain after about 3 weeks it did start to go down. I hope you feel better soon
Valued Contributor

Thankfully I have never had this happen BUT I would highly recommend getting a bedrail that goes under your mattress which will help TREMENDOUSLY getting out of bed!!! I feel confident CVS medical supplies or on the net will have one that will help at least those trips to the bathroom. I would also suggest that when you sit down, put a soft pillow under you to help get up and down and put a soft pillow in your car to sit on. Am sorry as know what it is like to have debilitating problems.

Super Contributor
Suzyque, that happened to me the summer before I entered eighth grade (1963). I was mowing a ditch from top to bottom and slipped, setting down really hard on my bottom. (Lucky I didn't cut a foot off!!) It hurt for a very long time. I remember this so well because when school started, I got the teacher that had a policy of a student had to stand when called upon to answer a question. It hurt so badly to stand up. I did get permission to bring a small pillow to sit on. My mom didn't take me to the doctor, which was either normal for back then, or at least normal in our family. Today, I would be distraught if that happened to my daughter, lol. Different times. Hope you heal fast, but don't be surprised if it takes quite a while. Demitra
Esteemed Contributor

I cracked my tailbone when I got tossed off a horse - many years ago -- it did indeed hurt and there wasn't much that could be done. What worked best for me was to sit on a firmer surface. I found it really bugged me when I was in a soft chair or worse yet in the car. I wound up putting a book on the seat in the car and that kept me from sinking down onto it so much.

That's about all I can offer since it does just take time to heal.