Honored Contributor

big mess trying to use a brush to apply liquid foundation.

I have heard of women liking applying their liquid foundation with a brush so I decided to try it. YIKES. I put a drop of foundation on my hand and dipped the brush in it to get some on the brush. I honestly had enough foundation to do my face 5 times it seemed. What a mess - it was everywhere - all over my eyebrows and it seemed so heavy. So much for trying something new - i washed my face and started again - applying with my fingers as I have done since HS. Glad I had time to start all over. Washed it out of my small brush - never again. there is a reason they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Honored Contributor

Re: big mess trying to use a brush to apply liquid foundation.

I have the found the easiest way to use liquid foundation (watched a video) is to place a dab on each cheek, one of the forehead, a little on the nose and a dab on the chin and spread out with fingers. Then you can use a brush at the end to spread out more, if needed. I seldom use a brush.

kindness is strength
Contributor

I apply a dab on my forehead, cheeks, nose and chin and then buff with a brush or use a damp Beauty Blender sponge. You can control the amount of foundation being put on your skin better that way.

Respected Contributor

I do the dab and then brush or beauty blender. This prevents waste and excessive foundation. I make sure my hands are clean as well.

Regular Contributor

I have found that a Stipple Brush works well using the stipple technique. I have very good luck using those 2.

Honored Contributor

I never used a brush before and will never use one again.

Trusted Contributor

I know what ya mean...I don't do well with applying liquid foundation with a brush either.

I always go back to my trusty fingers and normally finish with a damp sponge when need too.

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Honored Contributor

One woman's mess is another woman's preference.

Of course you have stated that you will never use a brush again, so any advice or comments to the contrary are moot.

But I'll post anyway: I use my Real Techniques Expert Face brush when I want my foundation to look perfect, and it never fails. It's easy, and there has never been a mess at all. I apply a very SMALL amount on my wrist, dip my brush lightly in it, and swirl where I need to. With the brush I can get around corners and places where it's more difficult with my fingers.

I rinse my brush off, pat dry, and that's it. It's synthetic and dries quickly. My skin never looks quite as good when I use my fingers as with the brush.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I always use a brush & found you use so much less foundation. I like it especially for around the nose.

Super Contributor

You should watch some you tube videos. Most people dab the foundation on their face and use the brush to spread it out.

It doesn't matter what tool or foundation you use if you apply 5x more than you need it isn't going to work out very well.