Valued Contributor

Red Hair Not Allowed in School?

Good grief - has anyone else seen this story? A girl in an Alabama high school was sent home because her red hair was deemed too distracting. Granted, it's a dye job, and it is quite vibrant, but it's not far off the color I had at about 9 years old. And red hair does occur naturally - it's not like purple, blue or pink. Not to mention the fact that she'd been coloring it that way for three years, and only just now got sent home!

If this young lady got sent home, what about all the bottle blondes?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/alabama-student-home-dying-hair-red-article-1.1905223

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Frequent Contributor

Re: Red Hair Not Allowed in School?

They should start drawing the line somewhere!

Super Contributor

Wow. Charlie Brown's girlfriend better watch out! And Claire Danes from "My So-Called Life". And Rita Hayworth. Ridiculous.

It will be nice when schools can get back to education and not have to worry about politicians making pronouncements, teachers carrying guns (!), and ridiculous, unnecessary testing, etc. Talk about distractions.

I think it's making people a tad crazy, as evidenced by this.

Super Contributor

This is stupid. Who would it be distracting to the teacher? Do they think the other students are going to be mesmerized? I think not. They may noticed some wild hair colors and then go on with their normal life. It wouldn't disrupt anything. I consider my self old fashioned, but open minded. Besides, I have seen people with natural red hair, that is much brighter than hers.

Super Contributor

I think immodesty would be a greater concern.

Super Contributor

My Mom is a pretty easy-going person, very live and let live, but she really hates it when I dye my hair red (it's naturally dark brown, so blonde isn't going to happen; she's only seen it natural and red). I wonder if there's someone like her at the school, who just has a weird obsession about dyed red hair and nothing else?

Super Contributor

The article also mentions that they also sent home those with pink and orange hair. The first picture shows normal red hair. The other picture shows her with the vibrant not in this world red hair. I wonder of these are new rules at the school. Or maybe they're just now enforcing some of the rules. I also wonder why they chose haircolor as a point of contention.
Respected Contributor

Other schools have tried these kinds of policies and fail. Once you find a teacher with hair that color, it is all down hill from there. That is a slightly lighter shade of what I have.

I dare say that is the same color just different light. Natural light does shade hair differently than house lights. Plus she is in a car with aweful shading.

Valued Contributor

Apparently it's not a new thing - here's a story from February of last year, that occurred in Utah - and this poor girl's hair wasn't even as bright as Hayleigh's!

Good thing I went to high school in the 60's and not today; I'd have been toast!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/utah-15-year-old-suspended-dying-hair-distracting-red-arti...

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Valued Contributor

This really has me riled, for some reason - I guess it's because as a girl I really did have bright red hair. Funny, I received constant compliments and no one ever once said it was distracting.

I'm thinking redheads need to unite, LOL. This is even worse discrimination than the kind "gingers" receive in England!