Super Contributor

Sulfate free shampoos.....do they all help the oily hair cycle?

My scalp is oily. I wash every other day. I have been doing a lot of research on the baking soda method........ and about if the hair is not stripped of oil, it will not produce as much.

So, sulfates are what strip the hair, is that correct? If so, then any sulfate free shampoo should help my hair get into better balance?

I have heard some women can go 4 days without shampooing once their get the oil issue straightened out.

Any input is welcome..... thanks Smiley Happy

Contributor

Re: Sulfate free shampoos.....do they all help the oily hair cycle?

Go check out the WEN forum. I did not find that just a no sulfate shampoo solved my oily hair, I just have to let my hair transition on its own. My hair also got pretty dry. I been using WEN for 9 months and been pretty pleased. Still only wash every other day, but WEN has oils that are used separately and are suppose to help normalize oily scalps.
Respected Contributor

If you're looking for a sulfate-free shampoo, you can try Nick Chavez Advanced Plump 'N Thick Thickening shampoo and conditioner. They're both sulfate-free and paraben-free. Nick Chavez also has something called Velvet Mesquite Serum that can be put on the hair and skin. That helps to add moisture to the scalp, but it's not oily or greasy at all.

The Nick Chavez Advanced Plump 'N Thick Thickening shampoo and conditioner that I mentioned has free shipping going on on QVC until August 18th, too.

Hope you find something that works well for your hair.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Super Contributor

I can't speak to oily hair as mine is more dry. But my favorite sulfate-free shampoo is Rusk. I also use Whole Foods brand shampoo... it's cheap but doesn't lather as well as the Rusk.

Having used Wen, it has NEVER left my scalp truly clean. I use it now as conditioner only.

Just some brand thoughts - HTH

Valued Contributor

Try Giovanni brand sulfate free shampoo. I wash my hair everyday and have been pleased with this brand.

Trusted Contributor

Another poster who gets the Insider says there is an Alterna Bamboo volume TSV coming in September. I like this brand, you might want to check it out.

Honored Contributor

I use baby shampoo and have extremely oily hair! It conquers the oil.

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

Desert Essence is a lovely sulfate free shampoo. I have tried the coconut, and the grape. You can buy it at Whole foods, Vitacost sells it much cheaper. Excellent ingredients. I'll post in a second.

Super Contributor

Thanks all!

I have been reading a lot about the baking soda and apple cider vinegar method. Most seem to love it, but say you have to go through an icky transitional period while your oil adjusts....ack

It seems once adjusted, most only have to wash their hair about every 4 days......I would LOVE that. I HATE doing my hair....LOL

Frequent Contributor

You can try conditioner-only washing. Nothing against the people who like Wen, but I personally feel it is too expensive (plus I don't feel some of the ingredients are appropriate, such as menthol) and you can get the same results from just using cheap conditioner from the grocery or drug store. Lots of people like Suave Coconut or Tresemme Naturals Radiant Volume Conditioner, but you can try other brands and flavors. What you want to look for is something without a lot of silicones in it. What you do is then wash with the conditioner. I wet my hair down and put it mostly on my scalp, rub it in really well, then pin my hair up in a clip, (I have really long hair)then finish everything in the shower, and then come back and rub my scalp again really well and make sure that all my hair has conditioner on it. Then I rinse, and put maybe 2 tsps. full from about my ears down as my ends are dry. I am blessed with an oily scalp but dry ends. :/ I'm lucky, I found a conditioner for $2 a liter that works well for me. I do use a lot of it to get my scalp saturated, but at that price I don't care. I can go 5-7 days between washings if I don't get horribly sweaty or into something where odors cling to my hair, like a smoke filled party.

The idea is that the oil cuts through the oil, but without stripping your scalp like soap does. There are several discussion groups out there on this subject. You can google conditioner only washing or CO washing if you want to learn more.

CeeCee

P.S. The cheap conditioner that works for me is at the Army/Navy store in Canada, and it actually has some silicones in it. I also still do use shampoo about every 6-8 weeks, to remove build up from the silicones and styling products.