Frequent Contributor

Anyone use finacea for rosacea?

I went to the derm this week and she prescribed this. I know everyone is different but just wondering if you like it and what your routine is with this as far as cleanser & moisturizer.
Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone use finacea for rosacea?

I used it a long time ago, it didn't help the last time I tried it though. I have good luck with Differin. MetroGel and MetroCream send my rosacea into overload. It's like rosacea on steroids, boy does my face turn red with that stuff. They've finally noted in my chart never to prescribe it again.

Super Contributor

I have used Finacea for several years (more than 10, I think) and it does an excellent job for me. I do not have a severe case of Rosacea and when I use Finacea as directed my skin looks great. I use cetaphil twice a day for cleansing and cetaphil moisturizer in the winter months. I just noticed on the insert that comes with the medication, Finacea is also prescribed for acne. Metro gel/cream did not work for me at all.

I have to be very careful which makeup to use as most will cause my skin to breakout. Recently I discovered the Paula's Choice products and I can use the ones I purchased without any irritation to my skin.

Hope Finacea works for you, if you decide to try it.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for replying! I've used a sample for 3 days and so far no irritation,which is promising! I'm waiting for some Paula's things to come but right now I'm using neutragena ultra gentle hydrating cleanser and really like it. My rosacea isn't real bad mainly some redness & itching and no I can't use metro gel either. Derm said finacea should help with pores too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!! Carolm- wondering what makeup you like?
Super Contributor

I did---did not work for me.

Super Contributor

Bosmama - I use Paula's Choice Barely There Sheer Matte Tint -- I believe it was on the list for rosacea sufferers. I use it sparingly, especially around my nose. I also use Geller's balance and brighten as a powder, but again, not a lot of it. When I use that up I will try something from Paula's website. When I'm home I avoid foundation, I just use blush, eye makeup and lipstick. I save the foundation and power for when I go out as I've discovered with my skin, less is definitely better.

Again, good luck. It may take some experimenting to find the right combination of what works for you.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks Carolm!!
Valued Contributor

I use Finacea and Metrogel. I use one in the morning, the other at night. I start with a clean face, using Olay foaming face wash sensitive, PC's skin recovery cleanser, or CeraVe face wash. I follow with PC's skin recovery toner and my recommended BHA exfoliant, I am now using PC's Reaist BHA. I used to use the Clear BHA regular, 2%. It takes some time to find the right one. For a while I used to use BHA lotion, 1%, then 2%, but found the lotion was too thick/too many layers, and the gel option was irritating. The PC staff will help you sample & experiment. My next step is Finacea or Metrogel. I follow with skin Recovery moisturizer, SPF 30 lotion for day, no SPF at night. The RX is step 4.
Frequent Contributor

Rac 71 I'm happy to read your reply, I'm waiting for Paula's skin recovery items to come I've heard alot of good things about these products. My derm said some people use both metrogel and finacea. I'm a little nervous about using too much at once but guess I'll just take it slow! I'm glad you have found a routine that works for you!! Thanks for the reply!!
Super Contributor

Didn't work for me, but everyone with rosacea is different.