Super Contributor

So last Spring I put some Sunblock on my face and my face has constantly broken out and been red ever since. Mostly on my nose! I have tried many cleansers but I can't get it to clear up and have no insurance to go to a dermatologist. Can anyone suggest what might have happend or how I can get my face to clear up?

Esteemed Contributor

Suncreens make my skin angry also.

You could try some Isomers cleanser and Cooper P and her cermides cream, the products calm your skin. ShopHQ has a 30 day money return policy like Q. Stay out of the sun.

Super Contributor

If you'd had a reaction to the sunscreen, you would not still be red and breaking out after several months. The reaction would have cleared up after a few days. You might have rosacea and something in the sunscreen set off a flare. I would highly recommend going to see a doctor or dermatologist to find out what is going on. I have ultra sensitive skin and rosacea, and what you are describing sounds like my rosacea flares. It sounds like you have something more than product irritation going on.

Honored Contributor

I agree with cassiem that it sounds like rosacea and not a reaction to the sunscreen. If you really can't see a dermatologist I would suggest trying Paula's Choice products for rosacea/red skin. She has a line for normal to dry skin called Skin Recovery and a line for Normal to Oily called Hydralight. If that doesn't work after a few weeks I would try to see a Dermatologist.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

ITA with Cassiem that it is far more likely that you are having a possible rosacea flare up. Or the sunscreen prompted a reaction that may now be being aggravated by something else within your skincare. The sunscreen reaction would have long subsided but it apparently triggered something else. Has your skin ever reacted this way in the past?

I suspect it's going to be pretty challenging to pinpoint exactly what is going on without a doctor's help. I'd avoid anything but really mild products for sure until you figure it out.

Good luck - I feel for you.

Super Contributor

I understand not having money for a doctor. When I had a major flare up years ago the derm had me get Domeboro. It is a solution that you dissolve in water and apply with cotton pads to your face. He then had me apply cortisone cream but before I went that route I would get some Eucerin Calming Relief Lotion and apply that. It doesn't hurt to put a drop of argon or rho in with the cream. I use this recipe when I burn my skin from retin-a. Also the Domeboro is good for any kind of rash and bug bites. I always make sure I have some on hand and I've used it for over 20 years. The derm also had me use the yellow bar of Neutrogena since it is very basic and non-irritating. Most DS's sell the Domeboro, it is OTC but you may have to ask for it at the pharmacy. Walgreen online does have it also.

Esteemed Contributor
On 8/15/2014 Katluvr58 said:

I understand not having money for a doctor. When I had a major flare up years ago the derm had me get Domeboro. It is a solution that you dissolve in water and apply with cotton pads to your face. He then had me apply cortisone cream but before I went that route I would get some Eucerin Calming Relief Lotion and apply that. It doesn't hurt to put a drop of argon or rho in with the cream. I use this recipe when I burn my skin from retin-a. Also the Domeboro is good for any kind of rash and bug bites. I always make sure I have some on hand and I've used it for over 20 years. The derm also had me use the yellow bar of Neutrogena since it is very basic and non-irritating. Most DS's sell the Domeboro, it is OTC but you may have to ask for it at the pharmacy. Walgreen online does have it also.

Is this gentle enough to use on a baby's facial cheeks by any chance? My GS's cheeks are soooo red & inflamed. They've been like this for awhile. Poor little chap!

Super Contributor
On 8/15/2014 Harpa said:
On 8/15/2014 Katluvr58 said:

Is this gentle enough to use on a baby's facial cheeks by any chance? My GS's cheeks are soooo red & inflamed. They've been like this for awhile. Poor little chap!

It was my doctor that originally suggested it for my sons cheeks when he was under a year old. Otherwise I would never thought of Eucerin.

Trusted Contributor

Harpa - I can't answer your question as to the gentleness of this product but thought I'd mention that this use to happen to my oldest son when he was a baby. We finally figured out that the redness and inflammation occurred after ingesting certain foods. It occasionally surfaced on it's own but 95% of the time, it was food related.

This little guy had these huge plump cheeks so it was really visible and on occasion, the inflammation got particularly bad around his mouth tho that was rare. I can't even remember now if we used anything topically (he's 40 now and there weren't tons of choices back then that I would have used anyway)

One of the worst offenders I do remember was anything tomato based. His cheeks got red and inflamed within an hour of eating. The sad thing was he loved foods that did have tomatoes so it was hard to eliminate them.

Just tossing it out there - your sweet GS might have them for completely different reasons.

Esteemed Contributor
On 8/15/2014 wackers said:

Harpa - I can't answer your question as to the gentleness of this product but thought I'd mention that this use to happen to my oldest son when he was a baby. We finally figured out that the redness and inflammation occurred after ingesting certain foods. It occasionally surfaced on it's own but 95% of the time, it was food related.

This little guy had these huge plump cheeks so it was really visible and on occasion, the inflammation got particularly bad around his mouth tho that was rare. I can't even remember now if we used anything topically (he's 40 now and there weren't tons of choices back then that I would have used anyway)

One of the worst offenders I do remember was anything tomato based. His cheeks got red and inflamed within an hour of eating. The sad thing was he loved foods that did have tomatoes so it was hard to eliminate them.

Just tossing it out there - your sweet GS might have them for completely different reasons.

TY, wackers & Katluvr!

He came today (7 months) and I never saw his cheeks so red! I don't know if it's food related; I don't think he had tomatoes yet! Smiley Happy

My daughter did have some kind of Aveda baby cream packed, so I was applying that all day. Later in the day, they did actually look better. But I will tell her about the Eucerin, too!