Respected Contributor

After all these years I still can't find the right foundation. I wore mac yesterday over primer and when I got home, I was one oily mess. Aaaarrrrggghhh!

I really like It Celebration Foundation, but after I apply it I see flaky skin and, yes, I apply a moisturizer after cleansing, wait for it to dry and then primer, wait for it to dry and finally the It foundation.

If I go matte, well at this age, it just magnifies lines. If I use something dewy, I wind up with an oily face.

At my wits end.

How would you take it for here?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

Have you tried a CC cream? I don't know how old you are, but I'm 59 and still have oily skin. I bought the Mary Kay CC cream in May, and haven't looked back! It gives light/medium coverage, and if I use a setting powder (Maybelline Shine-Free Loose Poweder) I maybe only have to blot once during the day.

I use Laura Geller's Neutralizer Spackle...I usually just mix a dollop of that with the CC in my hand & apply. If I need more coverage, I'll apply the CC just where I need it.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not a foundation wearer.

Do you have to apply it all over? Could you just apply it on any discoloration?

For the It Celebration, instead of brushing on, maybe just use a puff to press in where you want/need it.

Trusted Contributor

I've found the use of primer under the foundation makes my skin oilier. I either use a tinted moisturizer by itself or use the makeup by itself, and no primer.

Respected Contributor

The best thing I ever did for my face was give up foundation!!! I found Shseido Urban Environment Tinted UV Protector Broad Spectrum SPF 43 which I was wearing under my foundation, but decided that I didn't really need the foundation at all. So.....just the Urban Environment and a light dusting of IT Bye Bye Pores to finish it off has proven to be more than enough. My face is no longer reactive, greasy, have enlarged pores or blackheads and I've got great sun protection.

Respected Contributor
It sounds like the issue may not be the foundation, but your skin. I had so problem with oil on my face all the time, I felt like I looked horrible no matter what. I started using Anthony Instant Fix Oil Control. It's for men but the girl at Ulta gave it to me. It really helped a lot, but I don't use it anymore. I started using tea tree oil on my face morning and night, just 3 to 4 drops and my face stopped pumping out oil. When I then tried using IT's CC Cream as a foundation bc I wanted the 50+ SPF, my skin improved even more bc of the ingredients it has in it. Now I don't have the oil problem and I am getting enough moisture between my whole skin care routine (my cleansing, Clarisonic, serums, etc.) and and the CC Cream. I would really try tea tree oil (I use WEN- if you are only using 8 drops a day, the expense will be well worth it. It would last forever), and the IT Cosmetics CC. I do also use a primer with no problem which is Mally, and over the top I use Mally Pore Defender in the compact.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Honored Contributor

ITA, hulagirl. It might take a day/week to get used to the new look, but no foundation is much, much prettier. Any imperfections seem to level out once your skin can relax & breathe! It's so simple. Why do we make it hard? Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor
On 8/14/2014 sidsmom said:

ITA, hulagirl. It might take a day/week to get used to the new look, but no foundation is much, much prettier. Any imperfections seem to level out once your skin can relax & breathe! It's so simple. Why do we make it hard? Smiley Happy

I think that so many times we buy into the hype that we NEED a foundation......I didn't realize that my skin was reacting to it (no matter which brand I tried). I do add a little blush, but just a quick swipe across my cheekbones.

Frequent Contributor

Its not easy to find the right foundation. I'm 57 and have tried sooo many...liquid, matte, powder (IT Celebration does not work for me either), BBs, CCs, primer, no primer. What I've found that works best for me is Clinique Even Better foundation. I use it without a primer and like the coverage and lasting quality on its own. I think it gives my skin the perfect fresh faced look, not too dewy. Sometimes it takes a while to find what works for you, best of luck on your quest :-).

Honored Contributor

Have you tried Laura Mercier? I've used her Silk Creme foundation for over ten years and love it. It's a buildable and very natural looking foundation.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau