Super Contributor

Beauty vendors -Do you think they use models of the age that is their target audience?

During Laura's show today with Gabrielle, I saw Jill & Ally (they look like 18-20), Hendricka, Joan, and Leah (25 -30 ish?) Suzanne (35-ish?). She didn't use Joann, Luann, or Mary St. John (50-70).

Mally always uses Joann (70++?), Luann (50+?), Mary St. John (70?), as well as the freakish eyelash model (20?) and Brooke (later 20's), Sheila (35ish).

Jamie always uses Luann, Helen, & Joann as well as younger girls.

So, what I'm noticing is that Mally and Jamie are using young and old equally, whereas Laura uses no mature models at all.

My impression is that Laura's makeup would appeal to the middle age and older crowd more than Mally's, yet that's not the age of her models.

Does anyone else notice this and wonder about it? What is your impression of the age group that would gravitate to each line?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Beauty vendors -Do you think they use models of the age that is their target audience?

I've noticed this. I find the marketing behind QVC to be fascinating. All the models and hosts are carefully assigned to attract a target audience. I'm sure the QVC marketing department pours over customers personal data, as well as on air sales records (what host, time, models, dialogue/ per sales volume.) Carolyn sells Denim & Co and garden stuff. Lisa Robertson sells $300 leather jackets.

Nothing wrong with this. IT's how businesses operate and remain profitable.

Super Contributor

Re: Beauty vendors -Do you think they use models of the age that is their target audience?

Yes, I agree, I'm sure they do nothing that hasn't been studied and perfected to maximize sales. I'm curious what you all think about the age group that would be interested in each line. I would think that of the lines at the Q, Laura's line would attract the middle age and older ladies the most, yet she uses almost all younger models. Seems like Jamie's would attract both young and older. I've always thought Mally's would attract the youngest group. I don't know why - this is just my gut impression.

Maybe it's true that Laura's line has attracted the mid-range and up ladies, so they are deliberately using the young models to bring in that demographic, since they already have the older ones as regular customers.

Trusted Contributor

I agree that middle-age would be a target market for LG, but perhaps they find showing younger models helps sell to slightly older women. See how good you can look! Laura's marketing does not focus on as many good-for-you ingredients. The powders are all made with talc and some contain parabens. Jamie's schtick is more focused on ingredients and anti aging, so she shows older women. Just a theory

Super Contributor

I hadn't thought of that angle - Laura showing her items on younger girls to make the older ones they will look like that. I agree about Jamie - I think she is trying to hook the baby boomers and the huge population of greying American women.

Super Contributor

Haha! I know we ALL know who the "freakish eyelash model" is! And we all agree! That poor girl!

ETA: No, I don't think SHE'S freakish (she's lovely) -- I think what how Mally and Jamie make up her lashes makes THEM look freaky. Just wanted to clarify. :-)

Trusted Contributor

I think they are trying to sell fantasy, not reality.
☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️
Esteemed Contributor

I notice that a lot of the Laura Geller powders have a lot of shimmer in them so perhaps they don't look to great on older skin with some lines or wrinkles. IT Cosmetics has both shimmer and matte makeup and the focus is anti-aging while my impression is that the Laura Geller line is a color cosmetics line. As to the Mally line, it's also my impression that it's a color cosmetic line that would use young models. I thought that Mally's was the best selline cosmetic line on QVC.
Honored Contributor

It's just smart business.

Super Contributor

I haven't used LG - but my guess is that the powder foundation isn't as flattering on older skin due to it being a powder. I do think that sometimes she has some older models though? IDK I guess all the shows run together after a while.