Valued Contributor

what do you do if your mate doesn't like/want you to wear makeup?

And you love makeup?
Respected Contributor

Re: what do you do if your mate doesn't like/want you to wear makeup?

Get rid of your mate.

Super Contributor

On 8/13/2014 santorini said:

Get rid of your mate. Smile

That's my initial response, too. It's not the makeup, it's him trying to dictate to me. If I REALLY liked him and that was his ONLY flaw, I'd just wear it anyway and tell him to deal with it.

Respected Contributor

First, I'd ask "Why?". If the answer didn't ring true, I'd be thinking about the relationship.

Valued Contributor

I simply would not tolerate it nor would I continue with the relationship. Sound drastic, you bet, but a man telling a woman he doesn't want her to wear makeup has nothing to do with makeup and everything to do with control.

That level of control would be an absolute deal breaker for me.

Maria

Frequent Contributor

My husband told me years ago that he liked me better without makeup. He wasn't telling me what to do, just letting me know he preferred to see me without it. Considering I have oily skin and makeup was never my friend I stopped wearing it. If the most important person in my life didn't care if I wore it, I was more than welcome to give it up. Now...... 20 some years later I'm in my 40's and a little color now and then is needed so I started wearing it again a couple of weeks ago in certain situations - mainly for work. We'll see how long I last! Life really is much easier when I don't have to worry about it.......

Respected Contributor

I cannot imagine this, and you need to find out exactly what is behind his thinking. Ask him sweetly what it is that he doesn't like about your make-up. Are you overdoing it, too much of something? Are you spending too much on make-up? Too much time in the bathroom? I think almost every grown woman benefits from at least a little make-up.

Respected Contributor

He is immature in this relationship and is jealous of your getting made up because he thinks it will make you more attractive to other guys. Be very careful with this one.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Super Contributor

I think he needs to understand why you enjoy makeup and wearing it. If he doesn't or won't, then ......
Respected Contributor

Sound like a control freak. I hate controlling men and he would be gone