Esteemed Contributor

Amazing Skin on 102-Year-Old

No surgery or fillers or anything!

I just came from a memorial service for this dear, dear Christian lady, my college roommate's mother, who was 102! Her facial skin was utterly amazing from her latest photographs and the way she looked today! Simply unbelievable! Everything - jaw, neck, eye area was taut, firm, lineless. All she had were some age spots. She was a former nurse, but had long since retired from the years I had known her.

I can't help but notice these things, but obviously, she had left another legacy for her family and all those who knew her. Everyone was always asking for her recipes and what to do in life situations; I wanted her skincare rituals!

Do you, or did you ever know anyone like that?

Contributor

Re: Amazing Skin on 102-Year-Old

Yes - my Grandma. She had perfect skin even at age 100. It was smooth, even toned with very few wrinkles! She would make you think of Tova.

She worked in the tobacco fields on her fathers farm when she was a child, but her mother always made the girls wear poke bonnets and applied buttermilk to their faces. Her mother also made them play in the shade and cautioned them not get sunburned.

The only cosmetics she used was eyeliner, Coty face powder and lipstick. She also did a henna rinse to enhance her auburn hair in the 1920's. Poor Grandma, she was built like Dolly Parton and said she had to bind her chest with a dish towel held in place with safety pins to look fashionable then. In the 1920's the flat chested look was in and your knotted bead necklace had to hang straight down the front of your drop waist dress!

She washed her face morning and night with soap and water (Woodbury ,Camay and Dove soap) and would put a little Ponds cream on if her face got dry.

I don't know if it was good genetics, staying out of the sun or her simple skin routine - she had great skin. Wish I did!

Honored Contributor

Did she use argan oil?

Super Contributor

My mom was a bookeeper at a nursing home, and she would ask some of the ladies who had nice skin what their secret was - Oil of Olay. O of O breaks my skin out. I mentioned to my dad once i was thinking of going to a healthy lifestyle seminar- he said "I'll give you a seminar- don't smoke, stay out of the sun, watch your weight, get 7 hours of sleep a night, and wear your seatbelt, and don't drink and drive ( he threw those last 2 in after reading about a car load of college kids who drank and drove and did not wear seatbelts, and who all died).

Honored Contributor

There was a man on our local outdoor TV show a couple weeks ago. He was demonstrating fly fishing in a river, he also is a ski instructor in the winter. The guy didn't have a line on his face in spite of living a life outdoors. His age? 80!

Super Contributor

I bet staying out of the sun and genetics played a huge role!
Honored Contributor

I met such a woman although she was only 100 at the time. Beautiful unlined skin. I asked her what she used and she said Jojoba (sp?) Oil every day. Nothing else. Sort of shoots Dr. Perricone out of the water with his high -priced snake oils, doesn't it?
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/10/2014 lolakimono said:

Did she use argan oil? Wink{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

As soon as I get a proper moment, I'm going to ask my GF.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/10/2014 gazelle77 said: I bet staying out of the sun and genetics played a huge role!

It was interesting to see the other sisters in the family....one had nice skin, two had fine lines, and the other was just terrible.

Not sisters of the 102-year-old; but sisters who were her daughters.

Respected Contributor

My husbands' grandmother had the most gorgeous skin. No wrinkles and no sunspots.