Regular Contributor

I have snow white hair and have for years.....Suddenly my dark hair is coming back in areas I really don't want the dark hair and haven't used any color on my hair except Shimmering Lights shampoo and white Minx fanciful rinse......so my thoughts are do I spot bleach the dark area or leave it alone.....saw a women in a store and she has just started with the same problem we are wondering if it could be a change in our diet or what...fought gray for years and now of all things dark hair coming back.....Haven't changed my medications......

Respected Contributor
That's Strange ! ......Was the shimmering lights and white minx to keep the yellow or brassiness away ?
Honored Contributor
Maybe you're entering your second childhood? I have not had this problem, if indeed it is one. I'd just leave it alone.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I would go to a salon that has a colorist and inquire - maybe they can bleach it blonde so it just looks highlighted.

Regular Contributor

I have read that B vitamins can make your hair regain pigment.

Super Contributor

Oh, dear -- I don't want that to happen to my white hair, either.

I inquired about getting a color to make my color really Gwen Stefani white (and maybe add some volume to my hair). This is why I was advised against it:

Any color we have applied will have a base shade -- either violet or blue. Since my hair has NO color, the blue or violet aren't really needed to compensate for existing color, and my hair would "grab" the blue or violet. Think "blue haired ladies". They recommend I not take the chance.

Before my hair was totally white, I wanted a very definite solid white streak in front. There was a lot of white in that strip of hair, but a lot of dark, too, so it had to be bleached. The bleaching only brought the dark hairs to a pale yellow, and we just couldn't fine a truly white toner. It was pretty disappointing.

But if you find out ANYTHING let us know! And I'm going to Google this right now. After coloring my hair for a zillion years, this is the first time I truly love my natural color (or lack of). I'm so sorry this is happening to you!!

Super Contributor

The majority of posts I'm seeing attribute it to our levels of health. If we're unwell and lose hair color, when we regain health our hair reverts to its original color.

I'm not sure if that's all there is to it, or if that's ALWAYS the case, but that's the general theme of what I'm finding.

I'm 61 though, and I think that wouldn't necessarily apply to someone of my age -- how old are you?

I've been leery of trying the Hairmax because I wasn't sure it wouldn't give new life to my old brown hair! And I've just begun Andrew Lessman's Hair/Nails/Skin product and I'll be keeping a close eye on my hair -- I want more of it, but I only want more white!

I'll keep searching.

Respected Contributor

My hair isn't snow white, but it does seem to have just gotten darker lately. I was wondering about this also.

Super Contributor
On 8/7/2014 TX-starlight said:

My hair isn't snow white, but it does seem to have just gotten darker lately. I was wondering about this also.

What on earth??? I wonder why -- and I wonder how this happens. I wish I could find definitive, knowledgeable answers. Most of my Google searches are returning hits of people WANTING to get their natural color back.

Do you hope yours reverts, too? If so, then I'm happy for you. :-)

Respected Contributor

I wasn't aware of the hair color changing due to health. Is that true? I thought it was just genetics and age. Mine turned about the same age my mom's did. I have the same streaks, too. Hers is now a really great silver, looks wonderful.

I'm tempted to ditch my highlighted "my original color" brunette and go silver, but it does age me. However someone here inspired me to go look up ways to go gray and the idea of going platinum until you grow your color out was rather intriguing (don't we all love hair adventures?)

I have no idea how I'd look in platinum, so I suppose I'd have to try on a wig! But I'm thinking, if I ever have to give up hair color and anyway, it may be necessary by the time you are seventy, at least for me, I think it's time to consider no one is going to believe an original color. I get light brown-gold highlights to prevent the deadening effect of my original deep brunette on the faded complexion of a sixty yr old, but someday, I'm going to have to surrender!