Respected Contributor

O/T Eye exam at CostCo.........

I am thinking of having my eye exam done at Costco and wanted to know if any of you have had this done at CostCo?
Honored Contributor

Re: O/T Eye exam at CostCo.........

My eyes are the one area where I won't scrimp. I can't believe the price I pay for a good pair of glasses. But I consider this both my necessity and splurge. I'm loyal to my eye doctor.

But I know several people who have had very good luck with Costco exams and frames.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor

On 8/2/2014 just bee said:

My eyes are the one area where I won't scrimp. I can't believe the price I pay for a good pair of glasses. But I consider this both my necessity and splurge. I'm loyal to my eye doctor.

I agree with you ... anything for my sight/hearing/medical - I don't bargain hunt. My eye doctor doesn't do eye exams ... my optometrist is really good.

Esteemed Contributor

I have gone both routes. One year I had my eye exam perform at Costco and it was perfectly fine, I also purchased my glasses from them as well.

Last year I had an eye exam done at a place call "The Eye Institute" received my prescription and I still went to Costco to purchase my glasses.

I need to add that it's an eye exam, not surgery. Costco is fine.

Trusted Contributor

I've had at least three eye exams at Costco and subsequently purchased my glasses from them as well. The eye exam was perfectly fine, no different than going to an optometrist. As someone else stated, it's an eye exam for glasses, not brain surgery.

Honored Contributor

I've done it at BJ's before and it was fine. You've given me a good idea since the prices are so reasonable in those places. I think I'll go there and then buy online because I need to get bifocals and they are a fortune everywhere! I'm hearing good things about some online vendors pricing.
Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone for your replies........Costco it is......I will be making an appointment on Monday.
Respected Contributor

Costco optical was top rated in consumer reports. They sell designer frames. But you do know that basically ALL frames,cheap to the highest price are made by two optical companies,right! There was a big expose on like 20/20 or something. Costco makes top notch glasses for unbeatable prices!

Trusted Contributor

I haven't gone to Costco for an exam but purchase my contacts there. Exams are performed by an optometrist at Costco just like at any optometrist's office, right? Why would anyone think a Costco optometrist is subpar anyway? I'm just curious, not being argumentative. I do have an optometrist that I go to locally but I can't claim that she has superior education and training than anyone Costco might employ.
Super Contributor

On 8/2/2014 CAshopper2011 said: I haven't gone to Costco for an exam but purchase my contacts there. Exams are performed by an optometrist at Costco just like at any optometrist's office, right? Why would anyone think a Costco optometrist is subpar anyway? I'm just curious, not being argumentative. I do have an optometrist that I go to locally but I can't claim that she has superior education and training than anyone Costco might employ.
ITA! I am sure the Costco optometrist is as good as any out there.