Regular Contributor

Anyone color and highlight their hair at home?

I have several inches of "root" showing because I freaking hate getting my hair done. I love the look and my colorist is great but it takes a minimum of 3 hours every time...so I avoid it like the plague and only go when my color starts looking "ombre," ha ha! I am considering trying an at home kit for color and highlights but I am a little concerned since I already have highlights and color on 3/4 of my hair. Anyone else brave enough to have done this??

Frequent Contributor

Re: Anyone color and highlight their hair at home?

I do both. You don't need to buy a kit that has both color & highlights. I use a Sally Ion color and then use Revlon Frost & Glow for highlights.

You're only doing your roots on the color, so you're not really touching the highlighted portion. I don't pull the color through to my ends. After I color, I put in some highlights maybe 1-2 weeks later. I haven't had a problem. I use a cap and just pull it through. I have light brown hair (level 6-7) and I use the Revlon Frost kit for brown hair. I was nervous the first time I did it too.

Regular Contributor

On 8/1/2014 cleogrl said:

I do both. You don't need to buy a kit that has both color & highlights. I use a Sally Ion color and then use Revlon Frost & Glow for highlights.

You're only doing your roots on the color, so you're not really touching the highlighted portion. I don't pull the color through to my ends. After I color, I put in some highlights maybe 1-2 weeks later. I haven't had a problem. I use a cap and just pull it through. I have light brown hair (level 6-7) and I use the Revlon Frost kit for brown hair. I was nervous the first time I did it too.

Thank you for responding, this was what I wanted to hear! I may just need to go to Sally and have someone point out exactly the right color(s) and products and give me a pep talk.

Super Contributor

I use the Coleur (sp) Experte kit from L'Oreal - love it and it's so easy. My hair is light auburn, so the copper color works perfectly.

Honored Contributor

Oh I've colored, highlighted and cut my own hair for at least 25 years! I had worn my hair super short in a pixie style and spiky on top. I would always get so many compliments on this cut I was very reluctant to change it. I always highlighted my hair myself. But this past year I decided to grow out my super short hair and now wear it in a cute inverted bob. I now go and get it cut and colored/highlighted. My gal does a great job!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I did this exact same thing. Worked great for me & MUCH less expensive than salon coloring. My hair is short, I could get 2 color jobs out of a box. I only did the highlight/frost once, as I didn't like the lighter hair on me, but it is certainly the way to go.

Regular Contributor

From the responses it looks like I may have to try this at some point. I hate the expense and time involved with a salon ""do."" Thank you all for the replies!

Honored Contributor

I no longer color my hair but when I did, I used Natural Instincts because it was not damaging to the hair. Plus, my gray started on the top of my head so when I colored it, the top looked a little lighter like I was highlighting it.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

On 8/1/2014 Mandy Moo said:

Thank you for responding, this was what I wanted to hear! I may just need to go to Sally and have someone point out exactly the right color(s) and products and give me a pep talk.

Feel your pain. Good luck with finding a retail person who has any knowledge to help. My feelings about retail & customer service people knowing anything other than the very, very basics, like taking your $$ is pretty low.

Contributor

Has anyone recommended getting a retouch for the roots only? My colorist says it is better for the already color treated hair & more economical too. Even when she does the foil, it does not take 3 hours...my hair is not long though. Back in the 70's, early to mid 80's, I used to color @ home, but don't want to spend the time now, possibly getting towels soiled w/ the color or getting color on other things. Whatever you choose, best of luck!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}