Regular Contributor

Does anyone know of a good shampoo for Oily Scalp ?

Hello Ladies,

I have extremely oily scalp (but not hair) I use a prescription shampoo 2x a week to get rid of possible oil build up on my scalp. On the off days, I wash with Head and shoulders not because I have dandruff but because it cleans the scalp in good Ph as recommended by my Dermo and honestly it leaves my hair bouncy and scalp nice and comfy.

Does anyone know of a good shampoo that cleans the scalp without added oils added.

Some one mention to me the Aveda sampoos anyone use them?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Does anyone know of a good shampoo for Oily Scalp ?

I would just find a good clarifying shampoo. I have used Suave and/or Pantene. Then just put a little conditioner in your hair - not on your scalp (at least I have to do that because I get frizzy hair). Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

I have oily hair and used to have to wash every day. But since I've been using Aveda shampoo and conditioner (I use the color depositing ones in Clove) my hair is not as oily and I can go a day or two without shampooing. I usually just put the conditioner on the ends of my hair. My hair is also very shiny with this shampoo. It's rather pricey, but the big bottle of shampoo lasts a really long time.

Regular Contributor

Thanks Ladies ! I will check out the Aveda....I have done the Suave and Pantene, still needed daily shampooing.

All the best !

Honored Contributor

Have you tried using baking soda and vinegar to cleanse/condition? They may help to rebalance your scalp.

Esteemed Contributor

From some other discussions here on this forum, try blue Dawn liquid.

Respected Contributor

African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo

Shea Moisture Black African Soap Shampoo at WalGreen's or Target. It is meant for your problem, using natural oils to neutralize and balance your scalp with all natural ingredients and none of the bad stuff. It is also cheap, around $10 at Walgreen's and they often run a BOGO 50% sale. I love their products and soaps! They are super moisturizing but don't make my face or skin oily! I use this and their thickening shampoo. It is found in the ethnic hair section. I'm white and use it. It is also great for curly hair types.

Super Contributor

AVEDA's ""Rosemary Mint"" shampoo is excellent for those who have oily scalps. My son uses this and it has helped tremendously! Plus it adds body and shine and smells fantastic!