Honored Contributor

I am using two lines of skin care that I really like. I thought I would alternate using both of them. Would you alternate like every other day, or, maybe use one line for two weeks then switch to the other for two weeks? I just don't know how to do this or is it a dumb idea to begin with?

Honored Contributor

Do whatever is easiest to you. I alternate a lot, but I don't have a pattern unless I'm testing something. I just grab whatever is closest or easiest if I'm in a hurry or tired. You don't need a calendar schedule.

The only time I alternate with an actual plan is when I'm using an ingredient that might irritate my skin, like a retin, or an exfoliant. I have some serums with retin and some without and alternate can irritate my skin if I use it too often. Even then, my schedule changes as my skin adapts to the products.

Honored Contributor

I would probably alternate every other week, I alternate some of my products and I also will add something new into my regime and I do it slowly.....

Honored Contributor

Personally, I wouldn't do an alternating thing. For one thing, you're buying doubles of everything so you're spending more than necessary. If it were me, I'd pick out my favorite kind of product from each line and create my own customized routine.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think it's dumb to begin with. If your skin is already comfortable with using both lines...

How often you alternate, to me, would depend on what issues you are treating (if any), and what ingredients are predominant in both lines. It might even be a case for using the one in the a.m., the other in the p.m.

A lot of ingredients work synergistically.

Honored Contributor

I can see maybe alternating products like cleansers or toners or something. But I wouldn't alternate "important" products like a Vit C serum whose efficacy depends upon consistent use.

ETA: I could see alternating between two different brands of the same "important" product. The main thing is that if you're going to use, say, a Vitamin C serum, you should use it consistently, regardless of which brand.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Regular Contributor

I had 2 skin care lines and so I used up all the products in the first one and then on the second line of skin care products. Worked well for me.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, all.

Regular Contributor
I mix up my Isomers and Skinn all the time. I just make sure that I'm only using one specific ingredient at a time, i.e. not two different vitamin c or retinol at once, but may use one brand in the morning and the other at night. I alternate enzyme peels with clay type masks nightly. I lightly physically exfoliate daily, usually in the morning. Microdermabrasion once a week, and dermarolling about once a week when I remember. I also add in vitamin K3 in a olive oil base and arnica oil at night for broken capillary repair, after my serums before moisturizer. I use my FaceFX red light therapy about every other night, on the nights I'm not dermabasioning or dermarolling. Looking pretty good for 54 and seriously ill with an autoimmune disease, if I say so myself! Lol! It's just fun to mix things up and do my own science experiments to achieve the results I'm looking for. I think the most important thing to do is learn all you can about ingredients! :-)
Honored Contributor

You sound like you've really got it covered, homebody. Best of luck to you.