Occasional Contributor

Can diabetics use sugar scrubs ????????

I am a diabetic and asked my doctor if I could use sugar scrubs. He said he had never been asked that question and that he did not know. He told me to try the scrub and that if my sugar went up don't use it anymore. I am now afraid to use the sugar scrub. Any comments?

Honored Contributor

Re: Can diabetics use sugar scrubs ????????

Your skin absorbs what you put on it, but not as much as some people think. I would do what the doctor recommended and try it and test and maybe limit use so you're not using it every day. You could also try a salt scrub instead.

Honored Contributor

I really doubt that the sugar is going to get into your system. It's like wearing makeup, your foundation does not get into your system. P.S. Get a new doctor.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I agree your doctor should know that! I would think you can use them but not everyday. It doesn't sit on your skin for that long and rinses off.

Frequent Contributor

"No.
As long as you don't have any open wounds which could become infected, a sugar scrub won't elevate sugars"
Esteemed Contributor

I would!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

I'm sure a male doctor doesn't even know what a sugar scrub is or what it does.

Valued Contributor

Really? It seems almost unbelievable that a doctor would basically tell you to just try it and see what happens. I'm not saying that this didn't happen to you, but I'm just really surprised to hear of such an oblivious doctor.

Respected Contributor

In the days of old-school mixtur

Esteemed Contributor

Your doctor was probably gobsmacked that you asked such a question and he didn't know how to respond. I'm diabetic and wouldn't think twice about using a sugar scrub, if I wanted to. However, I won't use a sugar scrub for various other reasons. There are better alternatives.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt