Valued Contributor

OT/do you see the glass half empty or half full?

I try to be positive and look at the bright side, but I'm so unforgiving of what I've lost or what I think is wrong. I think I see the glass half empty.
Respected Contributor

Re: OT/do you see the glass half empty or half full?

I think it depends on the situation and past experiences. When it comes to my kids I'm always on the half full side, though, regardless of past experiences.
Respected Contributor

I feel the same way you do on occasion (like when I hear about animal abuse or a friend getting ill/children being ill or hurt), but I try to remember that life's short-it's ok to eat ice cream. This really came home to roost when I was seriously ill.

Valued Contributor

I see the glass half empty. I think that because my father committed suicide when I was 8, my Grandmother and stepfather died just 4 months apart. I was 8 months pregnant when my stepdad died. He had one son and our Mother died when he was 11. She died in her sleep. One heck a lot of things to go thru.

I have broken the same arm 2x, I have broken both legs 42 yrs. apart, one broken thumb.

I had a heart attack when I was 53. I also found out the same week I had diabetes. So for the last 21 years I have stuck myself 2 times a day. Not fun.

Respected Contributor

Totally 1/2 full. The girls at work joke and call me Pollyanna because I always look at the bright side and the big picture, etc. I love it and it improves my life.

Deb

Honored Contributor

MORE than half full...with plenty of room to add more water to the glass.

There is absolutely no sense, IMO, to be a downer.

Honored Contributor

I'd like to think the majority of the time it's half full.

Regular Contributor

I'm grateful to have a glass and the opportunity to fill it. Some of the worst experiences in my life led to the greatest joys so now I am just grateful to be alive.

Honored Contributor

It's not an always thing for me. For the most part I'm positive and look at the glass as half full, but there have been situations where I know I've felt defeated, end up down in the dumps for awhile, and looked at it as half or more than half empty. Thankfully, those occurrences don't happen too often.

Honored Contributor

Trying to continuously tell yourself how awesomely positive you are is...just a cover. Most of the time the ones that are the biggest rah-rah's & the power of believing type of people...are the most depressed individuals. They are fooling themselves. Can't imagine how exhausting that is. One small bump in the road...and their whole life is wheel's off!

It's OK to be down once in a while. Just makes you stronger...and more appreciative on the way back up.

I prescribe to the "One Day At A Time" thinking:

Grant me the
Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can, and
Wisdom to know the difference.