Respected Contributor

Very O/T Travel in Loire Valley in August

We are traveling to Paris and the Loire Valley in August...it may be quite warm. I was wondering if capri pants and sandals are acceptable. I have good black walking shoes that I will bring and long pants but not sure what to wear if it gets hot. Many thanks.

We will be meeting up with relatives for 7 days travel so I want to look nice. I appreciate any advice.

Super Contributor

Re: Very O/T Travel in Loire Valley in August

The Loire Valley is so gorgeous ... "The Garden of France"! I doubt if it will be truly "hot hot" when you are there, more like high 70s/low 80s in daytime and high 50s at night. Yes, capris are acceptable and I would take a good pair of walking sandals (maybe Clarks adjustable?). I suggest a light jacket to carry, just in case a rain shower pops up, too. Be sure and see the beautiful Loire chateaux. Simply magnificent! Food and wine are wonderful in that region as well. ENJOY!

Respected Contributor

Thank you expatgal...we are actually going there for a family wedding at a small chateaux. We will be staying in LeMans.

We will be in Paris for 5 days...are capris ok there as well. Thank you for your response.

Super Contributor

On 7/25/2014 wonderfulworld said:

Thank you expatgal...we are actually going there for a family wedding at a small chateaux. We will be staying in LeMans.

We will be in Paris for 5 days...are capris ok there as well. Thank you for your response.

I'm of the "old school" - and personally, I believe that capris are casual wear for beach, resorts, etc.

And I expect that many will bash me for saying that but I've seen women in pajama bottoms in public; see-through tops at the grocery store; rubber flip-flops at church.....

Paris is a major cosmopolitan city and the French do separate their style of clothing based on where they are (in the City vs. at a resort).

Sounds like a fabulous trip especially attending a wedding at a chateau. Have fun!!

Super Contributor

On 7/25/2014 wonderfulworld said:

Frankly, I wouldn't do capris in Paris unless it was absolutely broiling hot. Paris is different than anywhere else in France IMO. I'd wear lightweight pants and good walking shoes (no American tennis shoes!). The wedding sounds marvelous. I've hosted functions in English castles before and it was magical! Enjoy and BTW ... watch your belongings all over France.

Respected Contributor

Many thanks to you both! That is exactly what I need to know. Since we will be with relatives I want to dress more carefully. This is the first time I have been to France in the summer...usually cool and wet when I go off season.

I usually work around black slacks but maybe Khaki would be better. I am taking a couple of slinky dresses with a sweater that pack easily. Your advice is appreciated.

BTW last trip one of our party was wearing a cross body purse and all her euros were stolen and she was not even aware it had happened. This was at the Louvre. We were also accosted on the subway but they didn't get anything. This is the part of Paris I hate.

Respected Contributor

BTW Rick Steves recommends a hot air balloon ride over the area...has any one ever done this?

Super Contributor

On 7/25/2014 expatgal said:

The Loire Valley is so gorgeous ... "The Garden of France"! I doubt if it will be truly "hot hot" when you are there, more like high 70s/low 80s in daytime and high 50s at night. Yes, capris are acceptable and I would take a good pair of walking sandals (maybe Clarks adjustable?). I suggest a light jacket to carry, just in case a rain shower pops up, too. Be sure and see the beautiful Loire chateaux. Simply magnificent! Food and wine are wonderful in that region as well. ENJOY!

Haha! To some of us, high 70's and low 80's IS hot hot!

And wonderfulworld, thanks for posting. I've never been to that region, don't know if I'll ever have the opportunity, but I love reading about every locale and kind of taking a mini vacation in my mind. Have a wonderful time!!

Valued Contributor

I was there many years ago in June. I remember it being very breezy in areas near the coastline. Do you have one or two dresses, say a maxi with a sweater, you could wear? You could take off the sweater (or shrug) and be cool, if needed?

Have a wonderful trip.

Respected Contributor

Thank you both for your comments and well wishes. I think I will pack a couple of light dresses if Paris is warm and some sweaters. My suitcase is going to be loaded. Hotel does not have laundry service and not sure where or when I can get anything done. Oh well....I am super lucky if that is my biggest worry!