Honored Contributor

Is there an oil or cream you swear by to help prevent or minimize scarring?

TIA!

Frequent Contributor

Re: Is there an oil or cream you swear by to help prevent or minimize scarring?

Mederma

Super Contributor

Emu Oil, Rose Hip Oil and Argon Oil.

Honored Contributor

On 7/24/2014 Katluvr58 said:

Emu Oil, Rose Hip Oil and Argon Oil.

Thanks! i won't use Emu oil (I avoid animal-derived ingredients) and i was thinking of my rosehip seed oil and argan oil. I have plenty of both of those.

Honored Contributor

On 7/24/2014 lcmel said:

Mederma

thanks, I will look into it!

Honored Contributor

I suppose it makes a difference where it's located and how old it is, but Retin-A was great for me.

The dermatologist prescribed the .1% for me after removing some facial moles. I had to wait until the stitches were removed and the scabs fell off, but you can't see one speck of where the moles once were.

Honored Contributor

On 7/24/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

I suppose it makes a difference where it's located and how old it is, but Retin-A was great for me.

The dermatologist prescribed the .1% for me after removing some facial moles. I had to wait until the stitches were removed and the scabs fell off, but you can't see one speck of where the moles once were.

There is no scar there currently but I want to avoid getting one if possible, or at least minimize it. It will be my stomach area. I will ask my doctor about the retin-a (can you use retin-a in areas other than the face or neck?). That is interesting that it was used to prevent scarring, I've never heard of that before.

Esteemed Contributor

Pure vitamin E oil, at least 70,000 IUs.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

On 7/24/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Pure vitamin E oil, at least 70,000 IUs.

thanks! That is what I keep reading, vitamin E is best for preventing/minimizing scars.

Once I kind of narrow down a few ideas of what I think I want to use, I will talk to my doctor about it to get her okay.

Honored Contributor

On 7/24/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 7/24/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

There is no scar there currently but I want to avoid getting one if possible, or at least minimize it. It will be my stomach area. I will ask my doctor about the retin-a (can you use retin-a in areas other than the face or neck?). That is interesting that it was used to prevent scarring, I've never heard of that before.

I don't know if Retin-A can be used on the stomach, but you might also ask your doctor about silicone sheets. I'm not sure if they're used for prevention or just to reduce an already existing scar.