Respected Contributor

What helps you go to sleep? The radio? TV? Music? Melatonin? Pills? Natural or unnatural, OTC? ... ?

Last nite, I went to bed @ 10:00 PM. I was exhausted and thought I'd finally get a good nite's sleep. THEN ... my neighbor called @ 11:15PM to let me know her cat died.

I was tossing & turning all nite. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

There's always "something" ... neck pain, knee pain, nightmares, whatever!. I NEED to go to sleep! {#emotions_dlg.angry}

Suggestions appreciated. TIA!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: OT: Any Insomniacs here?

I am. I don't really have any suggestions to help either, sorry. {#emotions_dlg.sad} I've just come to live with it.

Regular Contributor

The only thing that helps me (more often than not) is valerian root. My sleep doctor recommended after my second sleep study, and subsequent suggestions, did not help. Valerian root is inexpensive, natural and can be found at Walmart or any other drugstore/pharmacy. I use the Spring Valley brand from Walmart and it works most of the time. I actually woke up drooling the first time I took it, in the same position as I was in when I fell asleep {#emotions_dlg.lol} I have tried the valerian root tea and it is nice but it does not work as well as the pills.

Honored Contributor

I can go to bed between 10PM & 11PM and sleep a few hours, but then I'm up for a few during the night. I try to return to bed right before DH gets up to get ready for work. Sometimes I can doze off and sleep a bit. Chopped up sleep isn't the greatest. During my waking hours, I'll watch tv, mess around on the computer, do a little reading. I tried Melatonin a couple of times, but I don't think I really gave it a good chance. I think it needs to build up and a certain level needs to be maintained. Maybe I'll try the Valerian Root sometime.

Super Contributor

I'm an insomniac, always have been. In the past, I've tried OTC and Rx sleep aids - but I haven't used either in many years because I don't like the feeling of being drugged. I wish I could suggest a solution, but I can only offer commiseration here. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

I've tried to do warm milk or tea, soothing lavender lotions, aromatherapy, breathing exercises, etc - but nothing really seems to consistently work. I've long ago accepted that this is just how my life is, and I rarely even think about it anymore.

Luckily, I live alone - so my odd hours only keep me and my pets up. They don't seem to mind!

Honored Contributor

Same as HappyDaze here, and I have chopped up sleep like JLF. I don't want to take any meds, and the couple "natural" products I tried gave my very creepy dreams.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

On 7/23/2014 suzyQ3 said:

Same as HappyDaze here, and I have chopped up sleep like JLF. I don't want to take any meds, and the couple "natural" products I tried gave my very creepy dreams.

I second this! I had completely forgotten about the disturbing dreams I had when using valerian root briefly!

Trusted Contributor

I wish I had suggestions for you too.

In my case it's kind of an all or nothing.

Some nights I sleep for eight to ten hours, but that is so rare.

Usually for me it's a broken sleep.

Asleep for three to four hours, then up for three to four hours, depending on what time I go to bed, then the make up sleep from the broken sleep that lasts for about an hour and a half to two hours.

One thing I know, once I wake up, I cannot stay in bed, because that's when my mind starts going.

No matter how tired I may feel, once my mind starts going, I know that sleep cycle is finished.

I have to get up and do something to distract myself because I know tossing and turning with my mind racing isn't going to end anytime soon.

So I get up and usually get on the computer and read the latest news, catch up on e-mail, etc.

I hate it, I wish I could sleep through the night every night, but that is a rare thing for me.

Like HappyDaze stated..."I've just come to live with it."

I can relate rina. It's very frustrating!!

Esteemed Contributor

I have awful insomnia. I will go to bed dead tired and wake up for the night 2 hours later.

What works for me is the Target brand Tylenol PM with a glass of wine. I take it twice a week.

Prescription sleep aids give me a hangover.

The natural remedies give me bad gas.

Exercise works well, but not long enough.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

On 7/23/2014 Oneanddone said:

I wish I had suggestions for you too.

In my case it's kind of an all or nothing.

Some nights I sleep for eight to ten hours, but that is so rare.

Usually for me it's a broken sleep.

Asleep for three to four hours, then up for three to four hours, depending on what time I go to bed, then the make up sleep from the broken sleep that lasts for about an hour and a half to two hours.

One thing I know, once I wake up, I cannot stay in bed, because that's when my mind starts going.

No matter how tired I may feel, once my mind starts going, I know that sleep cycle is finished.

I have to get up and do something to distract myself because I know tossing and turning with my mind racing isn't going to end anytime soon.

So I get up and usually get on the computer and read the latest news, catch up on e-mail, etc.

I hate it, I wish I could sleep through the night every night, but that is a rare thing for me.

Like HappyDaze stated..."I've just come to live with it."

I can relate rina. It's very frustrating!!

oh this sounds so like me! I try to stay off the computer real late in the night (or early in the AM, depending on how you look at it, lol) but sometimes I just give in, when I know no more sleep is coming.