Regular Contributor

Osteoporosis Question...............

I know ladies this is not Beauty related, but, this is the only place I go to on the Forums. So, please forgive me for not asking anything Beauty related. So, I was just Diagnosed with Moderate Osteoporosis. They said it is on the upper end of Moderate meaning, I am at High risk for Fractures. yay! I was prescribed the Generic pill for Fosamax. I am so fortunate that at age 57 I am on no medications, except my vitamins. I was doing some research on this, and it is very scary what can happen with this medicine. I realize ALL medications will have some side effects, my husband is on at least 7 different major meds. But, I just wanted to know if anyone of you ladies has Osteoporosis and what is your regimen. Thank you so much for any feed back. Have a Blessed Day!

Honored Contributor

Re: Osteoporosis Question...............

Sorry about your diagnosis.

I don't have osteoporosis but I was diagnosed with osteopenia & have seen it improve.

Please do not take the Rx. The more you research the more you'll learn about how bad it is for us.

Mineral supplementation is important but they need to be balanced to work correctly. A good magnesium - liquid ionic or magnesium oil forms are best absorbed & used, D3, K2. Most of us get plenty of calcium in our diets. I don't recommend taking calcium supplements as recent studies show they do more harm than good. Food grade diatomaceous earth (silica supplement, helps with bone repair) is said to be beneficial.

Weight/resistance training is important. Walking & other exercise helps. Losing excess weight helps.

Regular Contributor

On 7/23/2014 willdob3 said:

Sorry about your diagnosis.

I don't have osteoporosis but I was diagnosed with osteopenia & have seen it improve.

Please do not take the Rx. The more you research the more you'll learn about how bad it is for us.

Mineral supplementation is important but they need to be balanced to work correctly. A good magnesium - liquid ionic or magnesium oil forms are best absorbed & used, D3, K2. Most of us get plenty of calcium in our diets. I don't recommend taking calcium supplements as recent studies show they do more harm than good. Food grade diatomaceous earth (silica supplement, helps with bone repair) is said to be beneficial.

Weight/resistance training is important. Walking & other exercise helps. Losing excess weight helps.

Thanks for your quick response. I have been walking on a tread mill for about 2 1/2 years and my weight is around 110. They did say to start with some 5-10 lbs weights for my arms. She increased my D3 to 2000 a day and the Calcium to 1600 a day. I REALLY do not want to take this Drug. Thanks again!

Respected Contributor

I don't want to scare you but will be honest: I took Fosamax for years and experienced a femur fracture (surgery required) which is an uncommon side effect of Fosamax. Although osteoporosis medications do have the risk of bad side effects, I continue to take one (not Fosamax, but Evista). Why? I am afraid not to. I don't want to be bedridden with a broken hip, broken leg which won't heal, possible surgery to fix broken bone, walking with a walker, hunched back, back pain, etc., so I take the meds.

I'm sorry you are facing this. "High end of moderate" is scary, isn't it? Find out how long it is recommended women take Fosamax; I seem to remember there was a number of years it was recommended. There are several other meds, even one which is injectable. You could research to see if one seems to have side effects which are the "least bad" and ask your doctor about it.

Take care, walk, do a little weight bearing exercise, get your calcium. No heavy lifting, seriously. If you have grandkids, don't pick them up. You'll be ok.

Susan

PS 10 lbs is too heavy unless you have been doing weights for some time. 5 lbs. is even pushing it.

Esteemed Contributor

I was just diagnosed with osteopenia, which is the prerequisite of osteoporosis and have been put on the same medication as you. Took my first tablet last weekend. I am 69. My Dr. went over all of the side effects and I feel very comfortable with his judgment. The alternative is falling and breaking bones and I have fallen several times during the last few years. The last time being last August and fortunately only fractured my foot, but landing directly on my hiney. Mr. Dr. said that they will re-evaluate my situation and if things improve, he will take me off of the medication. He said that osteopenia (and I assume he meant osteoarthritis as well) is reversible. Since my mother had osteoarthritis, I really felt I had no choice but to go on the medication. I have no concerns, as there are side effects to everything it seems. The drug information packets want to cover their b*tts, so they mention everything as a possibility. The best of luck to you.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Regular Contributor

On 7/23/2014 happygal said:

I don't want to scare you but will be honest: I took Fosamax for years and experienced a femur fracture (surgery required) which is an uncommon side effect of Fosamax. Although osteoporosis medications do have the risk of bad side effects, I continue to take one (not Fosamax, but Evista). Why? I am afraid not to. I don't want to be bedridden with a broken hip, broken leg which won't heal, possible surgery to fix broken bone, walking with a walker, hunched back, back pain, etc., so I take the meds.

I'm sorry you are facing this. "High end of moderate" is scary, isn't it? Find out how long it is recommended women take Fosamax; I seem to remember there was a number of years it was recommended. There are several other meds, even one which is injectable. You could research to see if one seems to have side effects which are the "least bad" and ask your doctor about it.

Take care, walk, do a little weight bearing exercise, get your calcium. No heavy lifting, seriously. If you have grandkids, don't pick them up. You'll be ok.

Susan

PS 10 lbs is too heavy unless you have been doing weights for some time. 5 lbs. is even pushing it.

I'm sorry you had to go through Surgery. Yes. it is a Scary thing. I know there are a lot worse situations out there, but, when we are facing something like this, it just seems a lot worse. She did say something to this effect, that, the reason she chose the Fosamax had something to do with me having Melanoma a couple of years ago. I have fallen several times in the past 4 years, once was down 13 steps in our house and, by the hand of GOD, I BROKE NOTHING! I don't have grandchildren and I will be extremely careful in what I lift. Thanks again and have a good evening!

Super Contributor

I am sorry about your osteoporosis........I was also told I had that.........I took Evista........I would not take bisphononates (sp)............it can cause dead jaw and make your bones worse but there is a lot information and you can contact National Osteoporosis Foundation..........also stay away from acid foods but no sodas and no caffeine..........I will keep you in prayer and I also take Bone Up............I have met people that their bones have gotten better on bone Up.........I don't take any medicine for osteo now.

Regular Contributor

Thanks ladies for your replys. I have to sign off now until in the morning. I will be anixious to sign on again in the am and see if there is anymore info. Hope everyone has a Great evening!

Honored Contributor

I take no RX, just a good regimen of Calcium, Vit D3, Vit. K2 and magnesium.

Respected Contributor

I was dx'd with Osteo also about 10 yrs ago. Many factors come into play with this. I also have a thyroid disease which robs your bones of their density. At the time, Fosamax was the only med on the market for osteo. I took for a few yrs and it did nothing. So I was switched to Actonel and still not much improvement. Then my Endocrinologist decided to try Reclast injections. My density did improve. Currently I am on nothing. I rec'd the max of 3 injectinons and now must wait for my next bone density which will be this Fall. If my bones are maintaining then possibly I will not to go back on an oral med. I do know that Fosamax cannot be used long term because of possible fractures. I know that sounds insane. I wish you much luck in treatment.