Honored Contributor

Reducing Retin-A/Tretinoin Strength?

I've been using a .1% Tretinoin cream a few times a week for about a year and a half. Initially it was prescribed to prevent scarring after some facial surgery. I'd like to continue using Retin-A/Tretinoin, but wonder if I really need the highest strength. Has anyone ever decreased the strength they use after using a higher strength for an extended period of time? We you able to maintain the success you had or did you eventually go back to the higher strength? Thanks.

Valued Contributor

Re: Reducing Retin-A/Tretinoin Strength?

JeanLouise, I think your skin will benefit going to a much lower strength. I started using .025 Tretinoin cream over 10 years ago and still use the same dosage today. Why? Because my derm gave me all the documentation when I first started, which showed that in all the double blind clinical studies done in the US and Europe over many years, the strength of 0.025 was all one needs for "anti-aging" benefits. (Acne treatment requires different dosages.) Tests done with thousands of patients, over a period of 10 or 15 years, revealed that the lowest strength, used consistently over an extended period, was more beneficial than a higher strength used over a shorter time period or even the same time period. Studies concluded that the higher strength caused many patients to stop using the tretinoin because it caused so much irritation to their skin. And, those that didn't stop showed no additional benefits (e.g., no further reduction of lines, discoloration, etc.) than the ones using the lowest dosage. So, after all these years, I still use 0.025 dosage every night and my skin couldn't be happier!

Super Contributor

I've been using the .1% gel every other night for two weeks and still have no peeling or redness. Does everyone peel with it?

Trusted Contributor

Interesting question and sorry I don't know the answer. But I am with AspenGrove on the benefits of the lowest strength for anti aging. I started out with .025 cream in 2007 and that's what I am still using nightly.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Super Contributor

On 7/23/2014 myshell624 said:

I've been using the .1% gel every other night for two weeks and still have no peeling or redness. Does everyone peel with it?

Maybe you're lucky. Even the lowest strength makes me peel. My skin isn't sensitive but it sure loves to peel.

Super Contributor

On 7/23/2014 Kind1too said:
On 7/23/2014 myshell624 said:

Maybe you're lucky. Even the lowest strength makes me peel. My skin isn't sensitive but it sure loves to peel.

I'm puzzled because I am pretty sensitive. My skin seems to love the Retin-a so far. I've been afraid to try it due to the whole peeling thing.

Honored Contributor

I remember reading about the same study that AspenGrove mentioned when I started RetinA years ago. I used it for a couple of years but got tired of the peeling and quit. It's great if you can use it and not have the side effects.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

Yes. I use .025% tretinoin in the winter because of heavy peeling (even though I have been using for a year or more). Spring and summer I use .05%. But, I do mix the .05% with Burt's Bees sensitive skin moisturizer,

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to take a step down and see how it goes.

Respected Contributor

I have gone down to the 0.025% due to flaking and my skin getting really dry. I was using the 0.50% and just couldn't tolerate it anymore.

I don't think it has made any negative difference.

Hyacinth