New Contributor

Anyone else have problems with products not absorbing?

Hi, everyone. I have a major issue with both makeup and treatment products pretty much sitting on my skin and not absorbing much at all. I honestly have to DAB the sheen away after putting on foundation, and it doesn't matter the brand. Obviously I use oil-free SPF (because I sure don't need moisturizer), and still have the issue. Whether I Clarisonic/exfoliate or not doesn't seem to affect the situation. Am I alone in this strange phenomenon? Would love to hear if anyone has to deal with this.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone else have problems with products not absorbing?

That would be me and I have dry skin. I think silicone products are part of the problem. In my case I have to reduce those pea sized amounts and spread them more thinly. It is so bad I can cleanse my face and actually feel what I call "the waxy build up" on my skin. You have to be of an age where they used to wax the floor weekly to understand that. You can get rid of that sheen with Mineral Veil or another finishing powder, like the one from It Cosmetics.

Esteemed Contributor

Welcome to the boards, medieval! It sounds to me like you have oily skin. I've always had that problem and can't use any moisturizers, etc., that are too heavy or creamy because of it. My skin only absorbs thinner serums and some lotions. I have a few favorites. I do not wear a separate sunscreen because of this problem. -- and I don't wear too many layers. One layer and done.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

I can't tell you how many times I've read about skin penetration and absorption. For the most part, our cosmetics do not "absorb" or "penetrate" -- at least all that much. (In spite of bloggers saying you're going to gain a few pounds by using cosmetics!)

You need phosolipids as delivery agents for ingredients to get into a sub layer, but there are so many factors, that no single thing is the answer. Also, much smaller molecular weight, which, for the most part, most of our things just don't (and should not!) have.

If things were to sink further, you risk upsetting your natural mechanism.

Skincare, in part, should protect your epidermis against the elements, keeping in your own moisture.

Truly, sometimes I really wonder just how much skincare we really need, when everything is already built-in...as long as you are eating & drinking healthy, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. (Oh, but I do realize that environment plays a role in what skincare we may need to supplement.)

Super Contributor

Harpa, what words of wisdom! really! as for poundage put on from our skin care,,,,,FUNNY, had never heard that,,,,in my case I'd have to add at least 50#,,,all product understand{#emotions_dlg.unsure} I find 'absorbtion' so different with my age now. I know skin gets thinner, but yoi it's really different. lately have used "Skinny" brand (Bethenny's brand) and it just kind of sits on my skin unless I really really rub it in to absorb. The older I get the more I notice things that I used to take for granted. NOT liking my rude awakening. {#emotions_dlg.mad}