Valued Contributor

directions for using setting spray for makeup

I plan to purchase online Urban Decay's All Nighter setting spray for makeup. The directions say to use 2 - 4 sprays in an X and a T formation. I don't understand that. Can't I just spray all over my face? The X or T wouldn't get the spray on my cheeks. I really just want to soften up the look of mineral makeup.

Trusted Contributor

Re: directions for using setting spray for makeup

Just spray is all over your face, lol. You only need a couple of sprays, though, to set your makeup. Just hold the bottle around 6" away from your face and spray. You'll get the hang of it after the first couple of times.

Trusted Contributor

I agree -- just give your face a spritz and you should be good to go. If you're interested in trying a less expensive setting spray, I really like e.l.f. I buy it at Target ($3, I think).

Regular Contributor

Avon has a new setting spray, too.
Respected Contributor

I just spray it. NYX is good, too. And cheap!! I've used both and have both in my rotation.
Super Contributor

Did you know it contains alcohol? Yes, the directions say to spray in an X and to be sure YOUR EYES ARE CLOSED. Many warnings about getting it your eyes.

I just purchased it, too, although I have been using the MAC Fix Plus and liking it. After I got it, I saw that it has alcohol and then watched some YOUTUBE reviews (like Wayne Goss) who said not to use it regularly because of the alcohol.

Sigh.

Good luck!

Super Contributor

On 7/22/2014 KateChopin said:

Did you know it contains alcohol? Yes, the directions say to spray in an X and to be sure YOUR EYES ARE CLOSED. Many warnings about getting it your eyes.

I just purchased it, too, although I have been using the MAC Fix Plus and liking it. After I got it, I saw that it has alcohol and then watched some YOUTUBE reviews (like Wayne Goss) who said not to use it regularly because of the alcolhol.

Sigh.

Good luck!

Yes, this is why many of the WEN ladies here use the RTM as a setting spray - no alcohol. I've recently started using this, as well.

Regular Contributor

I think you will like All Nighter. I got a travel size in a kit, so I use it on really important days. I use it over mineral makeup. Looks really good! My tip: wait until AFTER you spray it and it dries to apply mascara!
Smile, it makes everyone wonder what you're up to!
Joined QVC boards long before the last two conversions!
Super Contributor

As long as your entire face is misted, don't worry about X or T.

Remember to experiment a bit. Your makeup might only need a light mist or it might need a good soaking.

If you are trying to soften a powder look, this might not be the best choice. If you have dry skin, try the NYX Dewy Finish or the Urban Decay Chill. Mac Fix + is a good one too although if you use too much, it can be tacky. Evian spray or Caudalie Grape Water spray are also good for taming powder. If you like the scent of roses, Mario Badescu makes a face mist with rosewater which is lovely and good for the skin, too.

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Honored Contributor

On 7/22/2014 KateChopin said:

I just purchased it, too, although I have been using the MAC Fix Plus and liking it. After I got it, I saw that it has alcohol and then watched some YOUTUBE reviews (like Wayne Goss) who said not to use it regularly because of the alcohol.

Sigh.

Good luck!

I've mentioned this on several occasions, about the drying alcohol in many of these sprays. It really isn't good for your skin, especially those with drier, sensitive or rosacea type skin. All the skindinavia ones have it (high on the ingredient list, usually second ingredient after water), even the moisture one which I thought was odd since the alcohol is the 2nd ingredient so will be more drying than not. I've used other products instead, ones without alcohol and they work good, with no drying or damaging alcohol. I just recently purchased another product to try that I am hoping will be the best one yet- and no alcohol!