Contributor
I saw this in another thread and responded. But kinda shocked. Not sure how I missed this. I found an article on biz journal that says Paula sold the company for $70 million and is now a minority stakeholder. There is a press release about the investment firm that they partnered with that says she is the "founding stakeholder" and would remain on as CEO. But that was in 2012 and a 2013 press release on the Paula's Choice website announces a new CEO. All for expansion but still feels like a kick in the tummy like Cristina and philosophy. Granted I'm for the American dream and the success these women built and know enough of business to know you often need investors to grow at a certain point. And of course people have lives and that can factor into choices big time and should be something we all consider. But all that said, when a brand is built so closely tied to a single person, as is the case with both Paula and Cristina, it feels deflating as the loyal customer to have the company change hands. It can't help but feel that way. It would be unrealistic I guess to think this wouldn't happen at some point and I don't begrudge anyone their success. Still, I'm highly bummed out having been a PC customer from the very first catalogue. It feels different now.
Honored Contributor

Re: Paula Sold Paula's Choice

I don't really care as long as a.) they don't mess with the formulas and b.) they don't start testing on animals. I've been with her products since she first started selling them as well but I don't take it personally IF she actually sold it. If a and b occur, I will find something else to use which will be a bummer but what are ya gonna do?

Honored Contributor

I just posted on the other thread: When her products change, I'll worry about it. Until then, I think it's just normal business expansion.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Well no one lives forever and when a company is started by an individual at some point they must turn over the reigns to someone else. It is only natural they would sell it and hopefully for those who like their products they will continue to be of the same quality.

Super Contributor

On 7/21/2014 x123 said: Granted I'm for the American dream and the success these women built and know enough of business to know you often need investors to grow at a certain point.

It's not always about growth; sometimes it's just about government regulations and distribution and costs. It's very expensive to be successful.

Honored Contributor

I would love to be Paula right now -- $70M -- wow!

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

On 7/21/2014 HappyDaze said:

I don't really care as long as a.) they don't mess with the formulas and b.) they don't start testing on animals. I've been with her products since she first started selling them as well but I don't take it personally IF she actually sold it. If a and b occur, I will find something else to use which will be a bummer but what are ya gonna do?

These are my feelings exactly. Right now it doesn't bother me at all because they are quality products that work.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I hope they keep the prices affordable. I too have been with Paula since day one, starting with her 8% AHA Gel.

I agree with the others.. keep the ingredient decks alone, no animal testing with reasonable pricing & I'll continue to buy.

Trusted Contributor

O.p.'s "kick in the tummy"...really? You care that much about business people making deals to make more money? Do you think they (Carlino, Paula, Ripka, etc.) care about YOU?
Contributor

On 7/22/2014 ritasNo1Fan said: O.p.'s "kick in the tummy"...really? You care that much about business people making deals to make more money? Do you think they (Carlino, Paula, Ripka, etc.) care about YOU?

This type of commentary is exactly why I stopped participating in these boards awhile back. The select few folks who have such a negative attitude and always feel it necessary to belittle how other people feel, or make snide remarks. I'm sure I will evoke a nasty response from you for calling you out on this, but sick to death of the nasty rhetoric from some folks in here when the overwhelming majority of people seem so nice, and are definitely here to share info and are kind to one another. You are entitled to your own opinion. But don't (insert expletive here) all over mine.