Super Contributor

Ok ladies, I need to pick your brains....

Does anyone know if zinc cream (diaper rash cream) is good for skin irritation? I have looked online but I am a bit confused (what else is new). It mentions taking zinc supplements but I can't take them because they make me nauseous. Once again my skin is retin-a irritated and I am looking at a natural way to help it without making my skin breakout from too much oil or too many products. TIA.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ok ladies, I need to pick your brains....

When my babies were babies, A & D ointment was a popular treatment for diaper rash. They also had a cream version.

I've also heard of something called Butt Paste, but I don't know if that comes in a cream form or if it's petroleum based.

Just throwing this out there....have you given any thought to trying the Mizon Snail Recovery Gel Cream on it? It's supposed to be really good for healing damaged skin.

ETA - LOL, now that I've gotten my mail out of the box and opened it, I guess trying the MSRGC isn't possbile....Ha! I can't wait to try it tonight!

Super Contributor

Do you have to? Smiley Wink couldn't you just ask us a question? I kind of like mine the way it is now. Can you call a pharmacist to ask this question to? It sounds like with the nausea you have some sort of allergy to zinc.
Trusted Contributor

CeraVe moisturizer has worked wonders for my dryness caused by Retin-A, but if you want to keep it natural, what about aloe vera gel?

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/21/2014 SusyQ22a said: Do you have to? Smiley Wink couldn't you just ask us a question? I kind of like mine the way it is now. Can you call a pharmacist to ask this question to? It sounds like with the nausea you have some sort of allergy to zinc.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

On 7/21/2014 twopeas said:
On 7/21/2014 SusyQ22a said: Do you have to? Smiley Wink couldn't you just ask us a question? I kind of like mine the way it is now. Can you call a pharmacist to ask this question to? It sounds like with the nausea you have some sort of allergy to zinc.

I was just trying to be cute in response to can I pick your brain. I guess it wasn't so cute.
Super Contributor

On 7/21/2014 SusyQ22a said:

{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I was just trying to be cute in response to can I pick your brain. I guess it wasn't so cute.

I got it, Susy! My standard response to this question is "Please be gentle, it still hasn't healed from last time". LOL!

Super Contributor

On 7/21/2014 Colonel Meow said:
On 7/21/2014 SusyQ22a said:

{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I got it, Susy! My standard response to this question is "Please be gentle, it still hasn't healed from last time". LOL!

That's another good one!
Super Contributor

My husband had a pretty bad burn on his arm and I asked a pharmacist what the best thing was to put on it. She told me diaper rash cream. The zinc both protects it and helps it heal. My husband looked at me like I had lost my mind when I came home with it. LOL. He did use it and it healed nicely.

I would only use it at home. It is thick and very white. You can't rub it in. I'm also not sure if it would clog pores. You may want to ask a pharmacist and see what they say.

Respected Contributor

On 7/21/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

When my babies were babies, A & D ointment was a popular treatment for diaper rash. They also had a cream version.

I've also heard of something called Butt Paste, but I don't know if that comes in a cream form or if it's petroleum based.

Just throwing this out there....have you given any thought to Mizon Snail Recovery Gel Cream? It's supposed to be really good for healing damaged skin.

You're referring to Boudreaux's Butt Paste - a product originated by a local pharmacist and acquaintance. It's primary ingredient is Zinc Oxide with other ingredients being Peruvian Balsam, Boric Acid, Castor Oil, Mineral Oil, White Wax and Petrolatum. It's wonderful for diaper rash and other skin rashes also. But for the face, I would suggest trying it on a very small area to see if there is any action or reaction. Are you allergic to any of the ingredients? I have to say that we keep it on hand, as it really does help with those summer rashes, and when little guys visit. BTW, it's a thick white paste, as in the Zinc Oxide it contains.