Honored Contributor

how does one know what skin products to use?!

So I have asthma and some allergies. I try always to use natural skin care and hair care. Yet I was reading yesterday that some of the ingredients in natural products are seriously not good if you do have allergies to pollen etc. which I have. What is a person to do? This cant be good yet regular products for hair and skin have many dangerous chemicals! {#emotions_dlg.confused1}{#emotions_dlg.crying}Kiss{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

Re: how does one know what skin products to use?!

Good question, I'm still trying to figure it out. My skin is older and dry but no allergic reaction to anything. I'm not going to go with anything that is very expensive, I think a lot of that is hype and you can get a good product for a reasonable price. But, the choices are so huge where do you start? I hope you get a lot of responses because I am curious as to what others do.

Honored Contributor

I'm not trying to dismiss your allergies, but many times there are alarmists out there who think everything coming down the pike is dangerous or harmful. Everyone might as well just live in a bubble then or make everything they use themselves. We all have a responsibility to educate ourselves about what we buy and use. Do your homework - researching, reading, and then decide what you want to try.

Valued Contributor

For me, it's been trial and error and a lot of great advice from a trusted dermatologist who helped me find the best products for my skin, which I've used for over 15 years now. Prior to that, I learned the hard way that "natural products" make my skin erupt. The various untreated oils, moisture bases, etc. are often the culprits, says my doctor.

For example, she explained that when mainstream skincare companies use lavender, they have the resources (i.e., chemists and labs and lots of money) to safely treat and add certain parts of lavender to their products so it doesn't cause irritation. Smaller "natural product" companies don't have the resources to do that, so they will often just add pure lavender oil, which is a huge irritant for many. Another example: I can't use any vitamin C serums on my skin - natural or not. When I asked my derm why, she explained that vitamin C (in the form of ascorbic acid, etc.) is derived from corn and I'm allergic to corn. I never would have made that connection on my own!

So, besides trial and error, you may also want to seek the advice of a physician who can guide you about the best products for your skin.

Esteemed Contributor

If you have no reactions when you apply a topical, then I don't see why you couldn't use it. If you know what you are allergic to, then of course, you stay away from those & their derivatives.

You learn to read ingredients, and then learn what certain ingredients can actually do (or not do.)

As much as I love natural, I am not inclined to abandon everything for [marketing] all-natural. I think that has been exploited beyond reality!

Honored Contributor

On 7/21/2014 CherryHugs said:

So I have asthma and some allergies. I try always to use natural skin care and hair care. Yet I was reading yesterday that some of the ingredients in natural products are seriously not good if you do have allergies to pollen etc. which I have. What is a person to do? This cant be good yet regular products for hair and skin have many dangerous chemicals! {#emotions_dlg.confused1}{#emotions_dlg.crying}Kiss{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

I've had allergies and asthma all my life. I always brush off the mall kiosk people who want to spray or smear things on me by saying that I'm allergic and they always say, "but it's natural" or "it's organic!" Everything I'm allergic to is natural and organic, from the tree pollen to the cat dander. The idea that natural is always healthy and chemicals are always bad is simply ridiculous. Mercury and Belladonna are natural and both can kill you. Water is a chemical - H2O - and you need it to survive. Too much sun can give you cancer, not enough can give you vitamin D deficiency. You have to be smart about things and not assume that natural = good and chemical = bad.

If you have allergies, read labels and avoid anything you're allergic to, but be informed about that, too. I am allergic to the pollen from walnut trees, but I'm not allergic to walnuts or walnut oil. If I were allergic to soy in foods, on the other hand, I'd avoid soy in beauty products, too because it's a different type of allergy. If you're uncertain, ask your allergist for more information about the things you're allergic to and what that means. Listen to your body, because it will also let you know what to avoid.

I avoid things that give me reactions and look for patterns and ingredients. I look for evidence from both science and experience. There is no conclusive evidence that parabens cause cancer, so I don't go out of my way to avoid them. I have experience evidence that tells me that some fragrances give me an asthma attack, so I avoid those. I don't like L'Oreal skincare products because of the fragrance, for example. I have to ask people who work in my area not to wear any of the Bath & Body Works Amber fragrances to work because they trigger a bad asthmatic reaction in me.

Super Contributor

For me it's not a case of either/or. I use skincare with a combination of natural and synthetic ingredients. Not everything natural is safe and not everything synthetic is dangerous or toxic.

I'm amused when I read articles or see presentations about the supposed danger of chemicals. All matter is made up of chemicals. All solids, liquids, and gases are chemicals. Our bodies are naturally full of chemicals. Water is a chemical! (H2O) You couldn't avoid them even if you tried.

I have allergies and have to avoid products that contain fragrance. I have a lot of trouble with most "natural" products because my skin can't tolerate most essential oils.

Respected Contributor

1) Go to a great derm & get professional advise

2) Trial & error

Honored Contributor

With allergies I would think using products that are fragrance free would be more important than natural.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Basically, it's trial and error for me. I also have bad allergies. One thing I do is to read feedback on products that might interest me - what did we ever do before the internet?? Many times that will tell me if a product has a fragrance or some sort of issues that might not work for me. The other thing I do is to try products using trial sizes, if at all possible. That way I'm not out alot of money if it doesn't work.